• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Fish Rack build

lkelly

Members
Frank - some advice.

You might want to leave more room in the back as long as it doesn't completely throw off your spacing in the front. Having the ability to access the area behind the tank (even a few more inches) for whatever reason and having clearance for any HOB filters should you decide to use them will be nice. Deciding you need that space after you have a bunch of heavy, full tanks in place is not so nice.

Additionally, mount any power strips on vertical surfaces. The one you have pictured is a prime candidate to get drenched if there's a splashing fish or other spillage from an upper tank. If you are going horizontal, mount on the underside of one of the 2x4s.

Finally, you should plan your plugs so that you can easily switch off certain components without a big, awkward hassle. If you want to kill your heaters during a water change or you want to set all lights on a timer, plan for that in advance so you know you have your power strips in the right spots and all the cords reach.

frankoq

Members
Frank - some advice.

You might want to leave more room in the back as long as it doesn't completely throw off your spacing in the front. Having the ability to access the area behind the tank (even a few more inches) for whatever reason and having clearance for any HOB filters should you decide to use them will be nice. Deciding you need that space after you have a bunch of heavy, full tanks in place is not so nice.

Additionally, mount any power strips on vertical surfaces. The one you have pictured is a prime candidate to get drenched if there's a splashing fish or other spillage from an upper tank. If you are going horizontal, mount on the underside of one of the 2x4s.

Finally, you should plan your plugs so that you can easily switch off certain components without a big, awkward hassle. If you want to kill your heaters during a water change or you want to set all lights on a timer, plan for that in advance so you know you have your power strips in the right spots and all the cords reach.

Thanks Lane. All good feedback and I took steps to correct.
I moved the rack to the front a little to make more room in the back.
I also moved the power strips and attached them to the rack columns to prevent the water spill issue.
I also made them more available to plug and unplug stuff.

frankoq

Members
some progress over the weekend.
First tank up and running.
FB5AD3AB-463B-4804-BB89-AE856A261D35_zpsqlkaspyn.jpg

First tenants (phone camera pic. oh well)
SRT Hongi boy and 2 girlfriends, and a juvie VC-10
B3E4BED0-C7E9-4ADE-B3E2-E1D518DADFB4_zpsfrtzfenc.jpg

JLW

CCA Members
Fish conventions are the only place where you can walk around with a baggy full of fine white powder, hand it off to someone for a few bucks, and no one bats an eye.

frankoq

Members
So one of the SRT girls was holding. I dropped the ball and did not move her to isolation on time. she released the fry. 99% of the fry got eaten :(
This is the lone survivor. Lesson learned.
EE1E4D42-2595-459B-8C96-AB110AD32C49_zpsxb75lm15.jpg