• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Catfish Convention

dogofwar

CCA Members
You'd have to check with Jesse or other folks to find out if field trips are open to folks who don't register.

I'm not really a big catfish guy... but it's a really solid event... and put on by our sister club, no less :)

Matt

I their an option just attend the collecting trip? I have no interest in the other subjects.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Like Matt said, you would need to check with them, but I have never found a convention that you can go on the trips without first registering for the convention itself.

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
PVAS wants people to sign up for the convention and that is required to see and hear the speakers, who have interesting talks. You must have a badge to get in to see the talks. But you should just sign up for the convention just to be there and hear or listen to the discussion and ask questions of the experts. And it may be a catfish convention but the actual fish show will include all types of fish and the discussions can be on any topic. Feeding and maintaining various species almost always comes up.

But much of the convention is open to the public without paying. That includes going to the vendor rooms which will have fish and supplies you will want to see. THe fish show which will have both catfish and all the other varieties of fish. You should come to see them because they will be the best available anywhere, adult, fully grown well finned, colorful fish. Plus the public is invited to the all day Sunday auction.

As for the trips available, there are three planned: a wine tasting trip, a trip to the Baltimore National Aquarium and a collecting trip to river in Virginia. These are provided for the benefit of those attendees who come a bit early or who want to explore a bit of the country. My personal opinion is that the seats on this trips will be offered first to attendees. SO it the trip is filled by attendees there would not be room for non-attendees. But I think there normally is a vacant seat or two.

I'd recommend you go to the convention webpage and fill out the registration. You will actually not be registered unless you pay for it in the next step. You then go to the next page and you pay only for the items you want. You can pay for our famous beer mug, or T-shirts or trips or specific meals or raffle tickets to the Amazon, or the conference.

verbal

CCA Members
Just wonder if the auction will include many cichlids, not just catfish.

The following vendors carry cichlids
Jeff Rapps
Imperial Tropicals
Aquatic Life Farm

I know a couple of the room sellers on Friday Night are CCA members who will have a decent amount of cichlids:
Reed/Mark Kaprow
Christine Keys
Batfish Aquatics

A guy from Florida will be bringing at least Apistos - room sales and vendors

Speaking of room sales, the 3rd is nearly full only 3 rooms remain. Details to get a room for selling are here:

http://catfishcon.com/roomsales.php

dogofwar

CCA Members
Not to mention that CCA will be hosting a hospitality suite (free drinks and food... and I'm sure all of the cichlid discussion that you could ever want) on Friday night...

If you haven't been to the Catfish Convention...just go. People fly around the world to attend it, but it's members of local clubs registering and supporting these types of events that keep them going.

Jesse - know if Mr. Rapps is going to be around on Fri night or arriving Sat?

Matt

The following vendors carry cichlids
Jeff Rapps
Imperial Tropicals
Aquatic Life Farm

I know a couple of the room sellers on Friday Night are CCA members who will have a decent amount of cichlids:
Reed/Mark Kaprow
Christine Keys
Batfish Aquatics

A guy from Florida will be bringing at least Apistos - room sales and vendors

Speaking of room sales, the 3rd is nearly full only 3 rooms remain. Details to get a room for selling are here:

http://catfishcon.com/roomsales.php

verbal

CCA Members
Not to mention that CCA will be hosting a hospitality suite (free drinks and food... and I'm sure all of the cichlid discussion that you could ever want) on Friday night...

If you haven't been to the Catfish Convention...just go. People fly around the world to attend it, but it's members of local clubs registering and supporting these types of events that keep them going.

I addition to hopefully a good turn out from CCA members, a couple of past CCA speakers will be there. One local Shane Linder and one from the other coast - Anthony Tu.

Jesse - know if Mr. Rapps is going to be around on Fri night or arriving Sat?

Matt

He is scheduled to arrive on Friday.

verbal

CCA Members
What time does the auction start on sunday?

Registration starts at 8 am.

Bidding starts at 10 am.

If you are selling please register your items before hand. In fact if you know what you are bringing, it can be registered now in MyGroupAuctions.

They will(on average) go earlier in the auction and get more interest than last minute registrations.

dogofwar

CCA Members
If you haven't registered for the Catfish Convention, please go ahead.

If you've never been, you will not be disappointed. And if you've attended before, you know the amount of effort that our sister club PVAS puts toward making this event a success. The sooner you register, the better.

Matt

verbal

CCA Members
Some good fish are already entered in the Sunday auction.

C123
and a couple Pelvicachromis taeniatus varieties

mchambers

Former CCA member
I can neither confirm nor deny any auction entries. :)

Hey, Jesse was encouraging folks to register their auction items early. Just trying to be a good convention attendee.

The C123 laid more eggs yesterday, BTW.

msjinkzd

invert junkie
i am super excited about this convention! It is one of my favorites and never disappoints! I wll be bringing a bunch of hillstream gobies and the like to sell, as well as some driftwood and my new book. I really encourage you guys to attend, it is amazing!

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Just booked my room. Completely pumped to chill with friends from near and far and the usual potential ensuing mischief.

Will be there Friday afternoon (as soon as I can get out of work) until Sunday early.

Pumpkin patch with Margaret and the cousins trumps auction. :/

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
Plan on bringing some fish for the show so you have a chance to win one of the framed fish prints by Ian Fuller. We will be awarding 27 prints and 3 wood carvings to winners. The wood carvings are by Brian Walsh.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Plan on bringing some fish for the show so you have a chance to win one of the framed fish prints by Ian Fuller. We will be awarding 27 prints and 3 wood carvings to winners. The wood carvings are by Brian Walsh.

WOW! Talk about some awesome prizes!

Thanks Frank!