• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

National Local Fish Store Meet Up Day: Saturday, July 13, 2013

Sonny Disposition

Really, I think, the location isn't too important. It's the idea that some of us do something. (It's better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.)

For my money, Tropical Lagoon is small, but it's an institution and shouldn't be missed.

MD HOT has, far and away, the biggest and best selection (although I don't know about the restaurants there.)

Congressional Aquarium is the best stocked in MoCo, but they tend to be pricey, and they sometimes don't get around to culling the sick fish.

There's another small store on the Montgomery Frederick line-- mostly goldfish and pond stuff, but some freshwater as well. I could see combining a visit to that store with a trip up to Frederick to see Rick's. It's intermediate between Trop Lagoon and Congressional in size, but the fish there are exquisitely well cared for. (It's a little more expensive than I would have guessed for being far outside DC, but I guess you need to pay for stuff that's been well cared for.) I did a blog post on them awhile back. For some reason, the page isn't loading right now, but you'll see it if you scroll down from the main page.) There's a Sal Mex restaurant in the same shopping center, but I've never been in there.)

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
  1. Congressional (clean, high-prices but really supportive of CCA - donated $100 gift card to AquaMania, entered and won AquaMania Aquarium Beautiful competition...allows us to post flyers there)
Matt

Congressional Aquarium is great. For us that grew up in Montgomery County, they are an institution. They have a nice selection (salt and fresh), clean store, helpful employees and are into supporting the club.

As for high prices, you pay for the above benefits imo. Let's be honest here and point out something that some may not realize... anyone want to take a crack at what rent must be at that location? I'd guess at least $20K per month... that's a whole lot of cardinal tetras, lol.

Like any LFS, I think it's safe to say that the owner is not diving through a giant vault of gold coins "Scrooge McDuck-style." The prices are what they have to be to keep the ship afloat and the crew happy.

Becca

Members
Congressional Aquarium is great. For us that grew up in Montgomery County, they are an institution. They have a nice selection (salt and fresh), clean store, helpful employees and are into supporting the club.

As for high prices, you pay for the above benefits imo. Let's be honest here and point out something that some may not realize... anyone want to take a crack at what rent must be at that location? I'd guess at least $20K per month... that's a whole lot of cardinal tetras, lol.

Like any LFS, I think it's safe to say that the owner is not diving through a giant vault of gold coins "Scrooge McDuck-style." The prices are what they have to be to keep the ship afloat and the crew happy.

All good points, but last time I visited (mother's day) there were dead fish in almost every tank, very obvious ich infestations in 1/3 of the tanks, and NO fish under quarantine. I've been there a handful of times, but this is what I find every time.

If I walked in and they had overpriced healthy stock, it'd be another story. I want to like it there - it's the biggest store in my area with the best dry-goods selections.:(

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
All good points, but last time I visited (mother's day) there were dead fish in almost every tank, very obvious ich infestations in 1/3 of the tanks, and NO fish under quarantine. I've been there a handful of times, but this is what I find every time.

If I walked in and they had overpriced healthy stock, it'd be another story. I want to like it there - it's the biggest store in my area with the best dry-goods selections.:(

Well that certainly is no good. :unsure:

Forester

Members
Tropical Lagoon is less than 10 blocks from my house and Steve has always been very nice to me. They have a lot of nice big pieces of malaysian driftwood for $3 a pound. Its small but everything is normally healthy and he always has what i need for a reasonable price. Ill talk to him about a meet up or something there.

JLW

CCA Members
I'm actually a fan of Congressional. They definitely support the shop, and the owner (Jay) is good people, as are most of the staff (except Greg, and tell him I said that!). It's a great store, where many of the staff have worked for -years-. You know you have to be doing something right when some of these people, many of whom are definitely top notch fish geeks, are there for a decade. You try working retail for that long. :)

The prices are higher than what you'll get at other stores -- though I don't think they're that bad. Most fish are reasonably priced, though there are some that are really high. But, you have to pay to keep your good employees, to keep the store stocked, and to pay that rent. . . and that means higher margins.

They have a lot of tanks, and I do sometimes see sick fish in there -- it happens everywhere. They're fairly scrupulous about not selling them when they are sick, which is far more telling than having a few sick fish. Everyone gets them sometimes. Heck, I once had a case of ich, that one time. ;)

Becca

Members
I'm actually a fan of Congressional. They definitely support the shop, and the owner (Jay) is good people, as are most of the staff (except Greg, and tell him I said that!). It's a great store, where many of the staff have worked for -years-. You know you have to be doing something right when some of these people, many of whom are definitely top notch fish geeks, are there for a decade. You try working retail for that long. :)

The prices are higher than what you'll get at other stores -- though I don't think they're that bad. Most fish are reasonably priced, though there are some that are really high. But, you have to pay to keep your good employees, to keep the store stocked, and to pay that rent. . . and that means higher margins.

They have a lot of tanks, and I do sometimes see sick fish in there -- it happens everywhere. They're fairly scrupulous about not selling them when they are sick, which is far more telling than having a few sick fish. Everyone gets them sometimes. Heck, I once had a case of ich, that one time. ;)

Very true. Maybe my experiences there just aren't typical? I'm used to seeing tanks with sick fish visibly quarantined, but just not selling the fish when they're sick is a fine way to do things, too.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Most stores simply don't have room for quarantine. I can't imagine Congressional forking out for the extra floor space for it at the rates they pay.

What you describe isn't typical of my experiences at Congressional, either. I find that there are sometimes a few tanks with sick fish but the lights are turned off or their marked as such.

Again, we're talking about the only store (of a handful total remianing) in the Metro DC area that approximates cleanliness AND support for the club ;)

Matt

Very true. Maybe my experiences there just aren't typical? I'm used to seeing tanks with sick fish visibly quarantined, but just not selling the fish when they're sick is a fine way to do things, too.