• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

WTB Wood Canopy That Measures 36” x 18”

TEAMRamey

CCA Members
I would like to purchase a canopy for my Aquion 65 gallon tall aquarium (L36” x W18”) to dress it up a bit. If anyone has one or knows of a LFS that sells them, please let me know.

JLW

CCA Members
Unfortunately, you're not going to be able to find one at a store. Aqueon no longer makes canopies for anything but a 55-gallon (well, okay, you can put it on a 33-long or any other 48 x 13 tank). I believe they've even discontinued their 48 x 18 size!

Completely idiotic, but ... well, that's the way everything has gone since they changed from "All Glass Aquarium." They used to even make 30" canopies.

You're looking at either DIY -- it isn't hard -- or having it custom made.

You can basically copy their design pretty easily. Get a 36" x 4" nice board from home depot, and two that are 17 x 4" (both 1" thick). Grab a 2 x 2. Cut the 2 x 2 into chunks that are 3" long. You'll need 6 pieces.

Make a rectangle out of the three nice boards. Put the 2 x 2s inside, exactly 1" from the bottom. You'll want one at each of the corners, one at the ends of the 18" pieces, and two about 12" from the corners. If you cut something that's about an inch high, you can use it to rest the 2 x 2s on, and stay even. Gorilla glue them onto the boards, or even screw them, provided you don't go through. You can use them to attach the 36 and 17" long pieces to each other, too.

You may want to add a brace across the length of it, though Aqueon never did. You may want to add a hinged top. But, this is a basic design, and pretty simple. Black enamel paint will match a black Aqueon stand fairly closely. Home Depot will cut the 4" wide boards for you (and, of course, you can go any width, but that's what I would do for a 36" tank), and you should be able to cut the 2 x 2s with a handsaw pretty easily. Other than maybe a screwdriver and a bottle of wood gorilla glue, it's fairly tool free.

You should get a corner clamp to make your angles right angles, but you can also use a square, or even the tank itself.... Or just live free and eyeball it.

Easy project for the whole TEAM Ramey. :)