• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Wtb Tinfoil Barbs or med-lg Dither Fish

mchambers

Former CCA member
I have a bunch of diamond tetras. They’re not fully grown, but are all more than an inch long.

b considine

a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude
I've got a bunch of Odessa barb fry, but they're probably too small for your purpose right now. If you have a place to grow them out, however, I'm your huckleberry.

Blaise

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
I wouldn't go with tinfoils in a 75g unless thats a short term plan, I think they can get a foot or larger. I have filament barbs, which only get about 6-7", and I wouldn't keep them in anything smaller than a 6' tank due to their activity level. They're open water schoolers and are always on the move. Some of the smaller options like Matt or Blaise mentioned would be fine in a 75 though.

What fish are they dithers for?

I wouldn't go with tinfoils in a 75g unless thats a short term plan, I think they can get a foot or larger. I have filament barbs, which only get about 6-7", and I wouldn't keep them in anything smaller than a 6' tank due to their activity level. They're open water schoolers and are always on the move. Some of the smaller options like Matt or Blaise mentioned would be fine in a 75 though.

What fish are they dithers for?

Just looking for some semi temporary company for a temensis grow out tank. Right now I just have one 5" fish so I'm trying to make the tank more interesting. I need something that will not fit in its mouth.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Rainbows would probably be a good option, not too big, but larger ones should be big enough to not be eaten, and usually always active. Good color options too.

zendog

I'm not sure if they are large enough not to be snacks, but giant danios are very active, fairly large and cheap. I think your temensis will get pretty big quickly with a mouth to match, so larger is probably better.

I always think of bass with sunfish, so if you are really just looking for a temporary solution to add interest and company, what about catching some small/medium sunfish to add to the tank?

zendog

Aren't giant danios awfully active for a 4' tank?

I've kept them in a 55 and while they are very active, they seemed to do well and even spawned in the hornwort I had floating around the top. Of course I'm sure they'd enjoy even more room if they had it.