• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

WTB: Show quality 125/150g tank w/ cabinet stand & canopy

rsanz

monster tank newbie
Hello all. I am in the market for a show quality 125 or 150 gallon tank setup with wood and/or metal cabinet stand and matching canopy. I have outgrown my 40 long. Preference is for a dark brown (ebony/walnut) or black cabinet/canopy. Would prefer a non-drilled setup (I prefer the simplicity of canister filtration), but willing to consider if it's a nice package.

Filter and lighting equipment would be a nice inclusion, but definitely not required.

Figured I would post this concurrently with my daily (hourly?) C-list searches. Been looking for a couple of months now and the pickings are slim. Definitely let me know if you are looking to move your setup! I have a truck and can pick up (located in Rockville, MD, about 10 minutes from the meeting location).

Thanks!

Becca

Members
Something this specific, with no scratches, is something you might be better off getting new.

Becca

Members
Our very own club sponsor, Batfish Aquatics, does custom orders.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Howie

Members
Be patient. I was looking on CL for nearly 5 months until I scored the deal of the century on a never used brand new black 120 with matching brand new black solid pine wood stand. Such deals are rare and seldomly posted on CL and you must jump on them, since they get snatched up very quickly. Getting a show quality tank in pristine condition off of CL is like spotting the elusive unicorn.

Congressional and HOT sell complete setups at a premium price. Petsmart recently started selling 120s, 125s, and 150s (they're only online order items because the LFSs won't carry them as inventory due to size, shelf space, and limited demand) but the stands are pressed particle board junk that will eventually fall apart like a wet burrito.

Good luck in your search.

Last edited:

lkelly

Members
Congressional and HOT sell complete setups at a premium price. Petsmart recently started selling 120s, 125s, and 150s (they're only online order items because the LFSs won't carry them as inventory due to size, shelf space, and limited demand) but the stands are pressed particle board junk that will eventually fall apart like a wet burrito.

Would love to see pics of any tanks you have supported by wet burritos. I'm assuming that these would be Central American biotype setups.

rsanz

monster tank newbie
Thanks all for the suggestions. I will expand my search. Believe me, I have been checking Craislist what seems like hourly, lol.

I considered buying a new 120 setup from Petsmart, but I too have reservations about the particle board stand.

Really, I would consider 90g or 110g, but figured I would put up my wishlist to see if anyone bit. I like the long tanks, and I have a long wall that I need to fill. :)

Tangcollector

Staff member
You can get a 125 tank right now from TFP for 329.99 with 25% off coupon brings it to 247.49. you will still need the rest of the equipment but I think the glass tops go for 49.99 for the pair. For 300.00 you can have the tank and the tops brand new. Not a bad start

JLW

CCA Members
Somewhere, I have a picture of someone's 90-gallon on one of Petsmart's "premium" grade stands. It, too, was pressed wood, and it sagged. A lot. You can see the water line at a severe angle. I walked in to do a cleaning on the tank, took one look at it, and said, "I'm not touching that. It's a disaster waiting to happen, and if I start working on it, it's going to happen."

We (Batfish) do stock a complete, 72 x 18 x 24" aquarium, and a 72 x 18 x 30" aquarium. They're actually very similar in price. They come with a complete, oversized sump system, super quiet overflows (preplumbed), all your pumps, heaters, gravel, air pump and stones, automatic fish feeder, UV Sterilizer, etc. The stand and matching canopy are solid oak -- not cheap crap. They have a full support pad, built in outlets, etc., and are really very nice looking. The tank has a solid background built into it, and are good, optical glass.

They're not cheap -- depending on custom details and such. They'll run you about $3500 for the complete set-up.

rsanz

monster tank newbie
125s are now $371 at pet smart when you buy online and do in store pickup.

Extremely tempting...but I just can't get comfortable with a particle board stand underneath a +1400# tank with little humans running around.

Thai

Members
Extremely tempting...but I just can't get comfortable with a particle board stand underneath a +1400# tank with little humans running around.

It's designed for the tank, you'd be surprised how much weight particle board can hold. Most tank stands are overbuilt anyways. I have two 125s with same type of stand and there's no issues. Only time over seen particle boards become issues is when people
Don't take care of it and let water leech into it and rot it out.

Becca

Members
I have one furniture-grade oak stand, two pine stands, and hand-made stand that is structured sort of like a stand made out of 2x4s but higher quality wood. It has a facade made out of wood boards that can be slid on and off and looks like a cabinet. The two non-pine stands are, by far, the sturdiest. The furniture grade oak one is a TANK and is amazingly stable. It also holds up well to wear and tear and I was able to sand and restain it to a cherry color when I felt like changing it.

If you really want a nice, show-quality set-up, you want a furniture-grade stand. This is especially true if you want to be particular about colors because these stands can custom stained by you or the person who makes them.