• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

lock jaw

CCA Members
I have a 75 gallon tank with 30 gallon sump. Currently, stocked with a majority of peacocks that are 1-3 inches (all males). I want to watch them grow up together. I have found some nice fish that I believe will have good color when fully grown.

I have:
(1) Albino Eureka red peacock
(2) Regal/blue peacock
(2) German/red peacock
(1) Eureka Jake peacock
(1) Blood dragon peacock
(1) Taiwan Reef hap
(1) Deep water hap
(3) Clown loaches
(4) Yellow lab – Looking to sell or trade these, I have one 3 inch female that has bred several times before and the rest are slightly smaller 2-2.5 inches males (not her offspring).
(1) Victorian “Red tomato” – this fish is 3+ inches has great color but having difficulty getting it to show. Thinking I might have to put this one in a separate tank.

I’m not looking to get all of these fish but I do want (males):
Aulonocara usisya flavescent
Blue orchid peacock
Midnight peacock
Red sun peacock – I believe this is a hybrid
Mdoka Flametail peacock
Yellow head peacock chitande nkhata bay
OB Peacocks
Neon blue dorsal peacock
Swallowtail peacock
Placidochromis Phenochilus "Star Sapphire"

Plecos:
Gold Nugget and Green Phantom

Any advice on how many male peacocks to keep in a 75 gallon tank? If anyone has a another kind of peacock that I didn’t mention on these lists feel free to pm me about them. I live in Frederick, MD and I work in Columbia. I’m usually available on weekends or after work hours, I can travel around the MD/VA area as long as it’s not too far.

Reed

Very Fishe
I have several available

Blue orchid peacock
Yellow head peacock chitande nkhata bay
OB Peacocks
Placidochromis Phenochilus "Star Sapphire"
Pm me
Veryfishe.com

stany

CCA Members
I have a 40 that I currently have 11 males, and 2 upside down catfish and that seems to be working out for the last 6 months. I do re-home fish that get over 4" and try to take over the entire tank. Most are 2-3 ". I do have a 4 " Xystichromis Dayglow and 4" Ngara Flametail but they have there sides of the tanks and while I have seen them lock lips in a power display they seem to just worry about keeping each other out of their side of the tank and bully chase they rest. Bi-monthly water changes and stone re-arraigning seems to help. I'm probably the least qualified to comment on compatibility other then I've had an all male tank for 2 years that's working after some trial and error. My German Red turned into a killer once it reached 4". I would try it again but have added a Ruby Red and think the German Red killed the Ruby Red I had. I would avoid OB's as they can be unpredictable. I have a clown Lab and yellow Lab getting along well which I was advised against. I've tried a Midnight Peacock and Sunshine Peacock twice and failed not knowing the cause of their death. May try the Sunshine again for the color.

I think 11-12 is good for my tank if I keep the size of new adds under 3" and add 2-3 at a time. It's maybe a high count but I want to spread any aggression and I do have double filtration. If you extrapolate that to a 75 would be 20 or so fish. I have more than 1 cave for each fish to hide.

In reality every fish has it's own personality. I think you are on the right track trying to find males only 2-3" to grow up together. I was thrilled a breeder send me 4+" Star Sapphire for the price of a 2-3" fish and paid the price with the 4" German Red he sent for $20.00 that killed it. I've decided that if a breeder can't tell the sex at 2 1/2-3" I pass. No reflection on the breeder because some are just too tough to guarantee at that size. I just pass on the fish. You are like me trying to get maximum color variation. I wish you the best of luck.

lock jaw

CCA Members
Wow thanks for the info. I think one of the frustrating and fun things about keeping these fish is dealing with all the fighting. I had mbuna before this and that was a mess. They were always fighting and killing each other. So far all my fish are pretty peaceful. I have 4 yellow labs, not sure if I should keep them or sell them. The female lab is slightly bigger and aggressive towards the younger males. They don't bother the other fish though. I have a tomato Victorian male in there and he is the biggest one 3+ but also the calmest fish in the tank.

I plan to add 10 more to my tank. I should of started it with adult fish but since I already have a lot of young ones I'll just keep looking for smaller ones. I had bought a Ruby red from Congressional aquariums, got him for $14, not bad for that store, he was extremely bright in color and after two days in my tank he went completely white. No idea if it was the stress but he never got his color back and eventually died. I did notice on my 2nd trip there that they had hidden led lights in their tanks, a magenta strip for red fish and blue strip for the blue fish, tricky people.

About the breeders, I have met guys that can tell if the fish is a male or female at quite a young age, even when I couldn't tell the difference. I have contacted Dave's rare fish, he has a good list of fish and he told me he could work on me with the young males. He hasn't given me a price yet. Hopefully, it works out, I'm tired of going to every fish store in this area. ;) Let's see what happens.

stany

CCA Members
I thought the same thing of starting with larger fish. To me now this was a mistake as the aggression of larger fish killed smaller tank mates. I've seen many posts on the net to start with 1-1/2 in groups to pick males from. I chose to not have several tanks set up to grow out a group to pick one male from. Finding breeders that can figure out sex at a 2-2 1.2 inch size was my goal. Jury is still out but I've not found a female yet in any guaranteed male shipment.Getting them at the 2-2 1.2 inch size and watching them grow up has been wonderful.