• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Wtb. 8 or 10ft acrylic w/ Stand

The Hapman75

CCA Members
Looking for an 8 or 10ft acrylic tank with stand if available. Preferably with no overflow boxes and in good condition..

Wet Sleeves

CCA Members
Staff member
You can get the materials cut for you. Im thinking about making a large acrylic tank at some point but acrylic is expensive. I wont buy anything glass over 125 gallons, its too heavy and too many horror stories as specially with marineland

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Yeah, as soon as you get over standard sizes, price can really jump, but consider the consequence of going 'too cheap.' I'm hoping to replace any tanks over 100 gallons with acrylic before the next time I move, but will need to save a budget to do that.

Freakgecko

Members
Couldn’t pay me to take a tank larger than 100 gallons that’s glass. Since getting my 180 gallon acrylic, my eyes have been opened! I have seen the light

Freakgecko

Members
Still hate the way acrylic looks, but it sure is easy to move.
What do you mean?

My biggest gripe is the access panels on my 180. They’re tiny. Makes adding a 3D background nearly impossible and limits the hard scape dramatically

Becca

Members
What do you mean?

My biggest gripe is the access panels on my 180. They’re tiny. Makes adding a 3D background nearly impossible and limits the hard scape dramatically

The clarity is just not there. Sure, maybe when it's brand new, but do you have a big pleco? Do you work much in the tank? Is there algae you need to get off of the panels? Are there hard water stains? Acrylic scratches easily and looks like plastic. I can generally spot an acrylic tank from across a room - they don't look the same as glass. Some folks may prefer the look of acrylic, I don't.

Freakgecko

Members
The clarity is just not there. Sure, maybe when it's brand new, but do you have a big pleco? Do you work much in the tank? Is there algae you need to get off of the panels? Are there hard water stains? Acrylic scratches easily and looks like plastic. I can generally spot an acrylic tank from across a room - they don't look the same as glass. Some folks may prefer the look of acrylic, I don't.
Fair enough. I don’t have a giant pleco, but have 6-10 baby to juvenile BNP and the Royal. It’s a low light tank, so no algae, and stays filled to the top so no hard water stains. Knock on wood, but haven’t scratched it at all working in it either. If you’re ever down my way, you’ll have to swing by. Honestly the scratchability is a fair trade off for how light and easy this was to move, and the peace of mind knowing it doesn’t have seals like my glass 120 that leaked

Freakgecko

Members
Kyle, where did you get your 180 from? my son is looking to buy a 125g or larger tank-glass or acylic
I found mine on Craigslist. It was an older gentleman who had tanks all over his home and meticulously maintained them. This thing was spotless when I got it. Stand, canopy, 4’ T8, and the tank cost me a grand though. Was a very hard bullet to bite