• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Wire Shelves for fishroom

JLW

CCA Members
I have used those.... They can actually handle a tremendous amount of weight, though I'd be a bit nervous about putting a 20-long on anything but the bottom ones. I've used them for 5s and 2.5s before with no problem, and even sometimes a ten.

You really want to get a rubber mallet and make sure they're together WELL though.
And watch for rust.

Also, the weight is only if its well distributed. If you put a 20-long on a shelf in the middle of the shelf, you're asking for trouble.

Also, mind it doesn't get top heavy!

Marz

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you Josh. I was thinking building a stand from 2x4s but then I thought maybe I can save some time with a pre-made shelving system. Any other recommendations?

Marz

Administrator
Staff member
I am all about DIY projects but this one is a little time-sensitive and I kinda have to move around a few things ASAP, that's why I'm looking for a pre-made solution.

How about this one? I think it's the same racking system used in the fishroom in this video:

black-powder-coat-edsal-garage-shelving-units-ur1848p-blk-c3_1000.jpg

black-powder-coat-edsal-garage-shelving-units-ur1848p-blk-64_1000.jpg

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I have used the Edsal shelving for years with tanks that are 18" by 36". The tanks end up bearing directly on the structural members of the stands and I have had no problems. However, I would absolutely NOT put tanks on these shelves that didn't match the dimensions of the units. Putting a tank on essentially a 3/8" piece of particle board is a recipe for disaster. You could probably come up with some lumber that spanned from support to support to set the tanks on, but its probably more trouble than it is worth in my opinion.

If you are at all handy, and are using the rack for utility rather than beauty, you could put together a stand to hold 4 20 longs in a couple of hours.

chriscoli

Administrator
+1 on what Jon said. Just say no to particle board. I also use Edsal shelves (in addition to my custom wood ones) and they are wonderful.

Marz

Administrator
Staff member
I would absolutely NOT put tanks on these shelves that didn't match the dimensions of the units.

Jon, I see your point, but what if the tank is centered on each shelf? This racking system is 48 in. in width, meaning even 40 G breeder is not matching the shelf dimension in width, there will be a few extra inches on each side. Also, did you watch the video? The tanks on the left side of the fishroom look 20 G-long to me, no?

Maybe I am checking out a wrong rack on Home Depot: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Edsal-7...l-Shelving-Unit-in-Black-UR185L-BLK/202995256

Last edited:

Marz

Administrator
Staff member
I got in touch with the fishroom owner in the video, I asked if this also works for 20 G tanks and this is his response:

"Works for 20 long and 29 gallon tanks. On one shelf I have a 20 tall and a 5 but that is to displace weight."

jonclark96

Past CCA President
The units that I have experience with have shelves that are 18" by 36". I haven't used ones with other dimensions.

JLW

CCA Members
I've used the big edsel shelves, too, but I replace the particle board with 3/4" melamine board. It's waterproof, looks nicer, and is way stronger. :)

Marz

Administrator
Staff member
I was thinking replacing the particle boards with plywood and then I figured the total cost of this build will be a little too much for a couple of small tanks so I decided to build my own :)

stany

CCA Members
I have a couple of these in my garage. They do hold a ton of weight and actually get stronger with increased weight. I would have the same concern with making it top heavy as I would with a wooden stand. I would secure both to a wall to prevent sideways or front to back motion. Otherwise they are cheaper than wood and can be set up in 20 minutes.