• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Will a pleco tail grow back?

Very unfortunately, one of my LF black BN juvie plecos has lost his lovely long tail. I'm unclear how that happened. The only critter that could have done that is a synodontis petricola and I highly doubt that. I wonder if somehow his tail got caught in a new powerhead I added recently. In any event, he's getting around fine. Will his tail grow back?

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
Depending on how short it got whacked, yes. I've had them get chomped and they will grow back to full length usually.

chriscoli

Administrator
If the damage is just in the fin itself, yes it will grow back. If the damage extends into the body part of the tail (caudal peduncle). Then probably not.

Btw....for some reason I find 'caudal peduncle' hysterical-sounding....makes me laugh every time I use it!

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
Oh latin anatomy terms... I'm taking anatomy right now! lol But Christine is correct. As long as it is damage to the fin only, you'll be good.

toddnbecka

Members
I had one unfortunate male BN that was holed up inside a water valve. He lost the end of his tail when I turned the valve, and I was tempted to freeze him because it was such a severe injury. I figured I'd see how he did first, and it healed up w/out any meds or infection developing. He grew out just fine otherwise, and didn't seem to realize he didn't actually have a tail to wave around when couting females, just sat there and wagged his stump. Never did attract any females to breed, but then again neither did any number of other males, so overall it didn't really make any difference as far as I could see.