• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Where DO all of those "extra" fishes go?

Tannin Aquatics

CCA Members
Have you ever stopped, just for a moment, and contemplated just how many fishes are bred and collected each year worldwide which end up in the ornamental tropical fish trade?

NetWorthCalculation_grande.jpg

And when we talk about breeding of fishes, we're not just discussing the big commercial hatchery level, mind you- take into consideration "basement breeders", advanced hobbyists, and even the casual "dabbler" in the hobby. Cichlids, Guppies, Catfish, Tetras, Bettas, and thousands of species in between. It has to be a pretty staggering number, huh?

Glass_Catfish_f3305650-53cc-4119-822f-db17aa76c573_grande.jpg

Where my mind really blows is when you think about just how many fishes are being produced and collected, versus how many people are in the tropical fish hobby, or simply keep tropical fish worldwide..I read somewhere that in 2012, a study concluded that 1 in 10 British citizens keeps tropical fish...wow! That's just in Great Britain. Consider continental Europe, North America, and the Asian marketplace...I mean, if it's even 1 in every 20...or 30, for that matter..."that's still a *&^%-load of people", as a good friend of mine would say!

Yeah, that's a lot of fish! (click to read more)

mchambers

Former CCA member
I'm amazed by the statistics that 10% of British citizens keep tropical fish. Maybe we should all move there?

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
I'm amazed by the statistics that 10% of British citizens keep tropical fish. Maybe we should all move there?
I'd be surprised if less than 10% of Americans kept fish, at least at some point in their lives. Other than picking up the accent, England doesn't really do anything for me.