• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

What Did You Get at the Catfish Convention?

dogofwar

CCA Members
Catfish Convention was - as always - an amazing, well-run, fun event. Big Kudos to PVAS!

Before the "Spree on Three" on Friday night, I checked out the board of folks selling fish before the last talk ended and opened the CCA Hospitality Suite to others with the same idea :)

Behold: The uber-rare Geophagus that I think only a few (couple?) of people in the world are breeding: Geophagus mirabilis. Had to have them. So I got a group of 5...

Also picked up a couple of sheets of Polyfilter from South Central Cichlids and a couple of Catfish Con beer glasses. And had a blast hanging out in our hospitality suite. Big props to Tony for stocking it with REALLY good beer!

Only could attend the auction for a couple of hours and didn't find anything I couldn't live without. Prices were pretty good for sellers! But hit up Josh and Angela at Batfish Aquatics and bought a bunch of neons and bloodfin tetras to go in my 150g tetra tank and with my cool water Gymnogeos, respectively.

What else did everyone else get at the Catfish Convention?

Saw a bunch of CCA members but not everyone? Where were you?! This event is only every 2 years and an INTERNATIONAL big deal...

Matt

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
I got 6 Synodontis Petricola/Lucipinnis to round out my total group to 10. I also picked up 3 albino bristlenose plecos to replace a few that I had lost this year. Rachel sold me 5 awesome nerite snails. It was a good weekend with some really good speakers. I enjoyed it very much.

It was also fun getting to know all of you a bit more. I admittedly felt a bit awkward and intimidated standing in hotel rooms just listening, but I am such a newbie compared to all of you, so thank you very much for including me (this means you Tony, Matt, Jon, Christine, Bob, George, Becca, Rachel, Josh, and anyone else who welcomed me during the weekend). I look forward to attending more of these events and continuing to be a part of the CCA and the aquatic community.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
It was a great time, as always. PVAS does an awesome job of getting the who's who of the catfish world to these events, and that's not just the speakers!

I picked up a group of ancistrus sp. Rio Tocantins from Barbie and was inspired to try cories one more time, grabbing a group of albinos from Frank.

I had a blast!

mchambers

Former CCA member
Another great Catfish Convention! PVAS does a fantastic job.

In the auction, I picked up 5 Dario hysginon (from Frank Cowherd), a bag of Rama Chandrarama (gold hovering cats, http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=156) (a WetSpot donation), and a bag of Hyalobagrus flavus, (shadow catfish; http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=295) (another Wetspot donation).

Also got some Repashy Grub Pie and Bottom Scratcher and some Poret foam from Stephan Tanner of Swiss Tropicals.

Luckily, I partially offset my spending with some auction sales.

Saw lots of good friends, too!

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I only purchased some lift tubes from Stephan.
Other than that, we had a great time talking to peoples.

b considine

a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude
I picked up some Corydoras hastatus from Rachel, some Corydoras concolor from Josh, and some Corydoras similis and serpae tetras from Andy Hudson (AndyNarwhal here) and some red lizard catfish (Sorry, I don't have the bag label handy right now). The similis, serpae and red lizards were all auction donations. On the dry goods front, Stephan Tanner was the big beneficiary. I bought some Grub Pie, Xtreme cichlid peewee (even though I don't keep cichlids) a heater and a couple of poret cube filters (can never have enough spares).

Thanks PVAS for a fun weekend.

Blaise

Becca

Members
6 Leopard Frog Plecos (Pekoltia compta) from, I think, Eric; Wood shrimp and Microsynodontis from Josh; Amanos and nerite snails from Rachel; Good company and laughs in the CCA hospitality suite.

zendog

Too many fish!

In the auction I got 10 green laser corys (2 different lots from different sellers in hopes of a little genetic diversity) and 3 juvenile Sturisoma Panamense. I also picked up some Nannochromis Splendens from Josh - everyone should have some of these super cute little cichlids!

Great fun and we both thought the talks were really excellent.

Last edited:

lizardboy

CCA Members
I got the microsynodontis from the raffle, some steatocranus tinanti from shane (planet catfish), and some gold laser corydoras from frank. The convention was great, I learned a lot from all the speakers.

MHMoro

CCA Members
The convention was well organized and the speakers were outstanding. I had an excellent time at the meeting. Learn a lot from listening to the presentations and talking with the experts. I finally decided to start breeding some "easier"corydoras and plecos.

I got some albino bristlenose pleco juveniles, few plants (I am setting a ~ 34G G cube plated tank at my office), poret filters from Stephan for my 40G breeder tanks and few boks, including "identifying Corydoradine Catfish". I had Ian Fuller and Hans-George Evers sign my copies.

Manuel

Not a catfish person, so I didn't attend any of the speaker sessions but browsed the vendor room. On Sunday auction, I purchased 5 T-Bar cichlid I have been looking for a long time, 5 Benga peacock from Reed and 5 leulupi from Mark.

rsanz

monster tank newbie
6 Leopard Frog Plecos (Pekoltia compta) from, I think, Eric; Wood shrimp and Microsynodontis from Josh; Amanos and nerite snails from Rachel; Good company and laughs in the CCA hospitality suite.
Oh wow, I've been on the hunt for Leopard Frog plecos for a long time! I have 1 currently that I got a few years ago and have been looking for some mates for it to see if I could get a breeding group going. Great pick up! They are hard to find.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Contact Eric Bodrock, as he was the one selling them at a great price (something like $30 a piece, less if you bought a group). I think he's at oddball aquatics.

Becca

Members
Oh wow, I've been on the hunt for Leopard Frog plecos for a long time! I have 1 currently that I got a few years ago and have been looking for some mates for it to see if I could get a breeding group going. Great pick up! They are hard to find.
Yeah - I didn't recognize them at first because they were juveniles and then I wasn't sure I wanted to spend the money, but a second beer, Tony, Jon, and Josh convinced me it was the right decision. Once they're mature/sexable, I may sell off a couple, but it'll be a year or two.

I got a colony of 12 Pseudotropheus Demasoni which i'm hoping will start breeding right away!

I also got 5x yellow belly albert fry, very excited to watch them grow and see their colors develop.

Lots of other interesting lots, but i got out bid on a ton of stuff. Who was that chap in the front of the auciton room? He must have dropped $1000 or more on sunday!

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
I got a colony of 12 Pseudotropheus Demasoni which i'm hoping will start breeding right away!

I also got 5x yellow belly albert fry, very excited to watch them grow and see their colors develop.

Lots of other interesting lots, but i got out bid on a ton of stuff. Who was that chap in the front of the auciton room? He must have dropped $1000 or more on sunday!

I agree! Between him and the gentleman in the center of the room buying up the plants, hardly anyone else bid!