• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Wait for the BGD to buy fish?

stany

CCA Members
I've been in the club 3 years but have missed the last two BFD. I am looking to add some to my all male tank. I'm thinking to wait until the BGD to be able to actually see what I'm buying instead of hoping they look like the web site pic's or will grow up to look like the web site pic's. The problem for me is I'm looking for males 2-2 1/2 inches and while some species are hard to sex at this size, the ones I'm looking for can be sexed. I guess I'm hoping "in general" are prices for fish cheaper than I can find online or similar to what club supporting vendors charge?

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
There should be plenty of fish available at the BFD. A few vendors will be there starting friday and staying through the weekend, and there should be plenty more people selling fish on sunday. Plenty of people generally have fish at sexable size. There will also be fish available in the saturday rare fish auction, though those are generally groups of smaller fish, but the selection varies.

We'll also be doing a few group buys for delivery to the event. While you still have to "hope they look like the web site pic's or will grow up to look like the web site pic's" at least you save the shipping cost, so they'd be cheaper than randomly ordering them online.

Several of the vendors will have fish for sale cheaper than website cost, but I've generally always found prices to be reasonable. Might be worth waiting anyway considering the temperatures we're currently dealing with. Its not always a problem for the vendors, but if they end up in the hands of a lazy or irresponsible courier then it can be an issue.

stany

CCA Members
Thanks for the help. I'd like to support the group buy vendors if I can get what I like.

lock jaw

CCA Members
This will be a 3 day convention? Can you buy fish from vendors any day or would you need to wait for auctions?

zendog

This will be a 3 day convention? Can you buy fish from vendors any day or would you need to wait for auctions?
There are usually vendors you can buy from each day, plus the group buys that you can participate in that you pick up Friday night. There also some great fish available from club members and others in the marketplace on Sunday.

paul

CCA Members
So it sounds like Sunday might be the best day for buying fish? This will be my first BFD; super excited but I can probably only make it Friday or Sunday. I'm hoping to get a nice breeding pair of some variety of Apisto.

JLW

CCA Members
Paul, Sunday is the marketplace, where some vendors and also regular members will have cool stuff available. Its definitely the most variety, but you don't want to miss the talks and other events the rest of the BFD. Plus, there are raffles and more, and many of the larger vendors set up during this time and sell fish. If you get there Sunday, sometimes they'll have sold awesome fish already.

FishEggs

Sunday is the market place. No auctions. People get a table and sell their wares. Saturday night is the rare fish auction.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
What were some of the rare fish from last year?
Cichlasoma bimaculatum, Black Calvus, some cool West Africans, Ptychochromis grandidieri "East Coast Gold" (Madagascar), several species of Victorians, 2 different kind of tropheus, 2 unusual types of barbs...

Sometimes the fish aren't always truly rare, because a lot of stuff is only rare in some places, but there is always a very good variety of quality fish, so usually something, or a lot of somethings for everyone.

This year on top of receiving donations from multiple vendors we're also going to do a box swap with a club in Florida.

FishEggs

Sunday is the market place. Like a big flea market. People will have all kinds of fish stuff for sale including fish.

lizardboy

CCA Members
The auction is at night, if I'm remembering correctly it usually starts around 10 pm and goes to about midnight

FishEggs

This years schedule is auction registration starts @8pm and the auction starts @8:30pm and goes til we sell everything.
Click on the Big Fish Deal menu and it will take you to the web page. The schedule is there.