• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Vacuum Sealed Foods: How Long Do They Last

Have a package of vacuum sealed veggie sticks from Ken's (acquired in a used tank purchase) which has no expiration date on the packaging.

No response from Ken's on how long the food will last.

Anyone have thoughts/experiences with regard to the expiration of the food?

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Most of the manufacturers that do put on "use by dates" are typically 18 to 24 months from when I've purchased food.

If you don't know when it was purchased and can afford to get fresh food, that's the way I would go. I've actually stopped buying bulk quantities of food that I don't go through relatively quickly just so it stays fresh. No more one pound bags of flake food for me.

chriscoli

Administrator
The other thing to consider is that it doesn't go 'bad' like the dairy in your fridge. If it's been protected against moisture, it won't spoil. As the food gets old some components will lose their potency over time (vitamins, for example). So you won't be feeding exactly what was guaranteed at the time of purchase are but it won't poison your fish either.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Great topic!

Is it better to store flake and pellet food in the fridge, freezer or cabinet (to prolong life and vitamin content)?

Matt

The other thing to consider is that it doesn't go 'bad' like the dairy in your fridge. If it's been protected against moisture, it won't spoil. As the food gets old some components will lose their potency over time (vitamins, for example). So you won't be feeding exactly what was guaranteed at the time of purchase are but it won't poison your fish either.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Not sure what answer will help the OP, since he doesn't know how old the food is.

I usually use old food to feed my grindal worms.

As far as storage goes, I usually use the freezer. If you have food with probiotics, it's not clear to me whether you can freeze it or not. I've been told yes and no by the same manufacturer.

chriscoli

Administrator
As long as you don't get condensation inside the container, I think fridge/freezer is ok. Probably best for unopened containers.