• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Ups Delivering Cichlids And Catfish - Now What?

marge618

CCA member
Hi All!
My very first AquaBid auction win arrives before 12 noon today. UPS will bring cichlids (8 Metriaclima sp. "Galilea) and catfish (4 Synodontis Ocellifer) directly to my door. :happy0100: :happy0100:

Wish I had asked you this yesterday... :smashfreakB:

So.. what does one do when the box arrives? :confused0083:

(I know that there must be different steps than those used for fish you just bought an hour ago at the LFS. ) :confused0007:

Please tell me what works for you! :love0030:

Later,
Marge

Spine

Members
I normally just let the bags float until the temperature in the bag is equal with the tank and then add the fish to the tank.

kaj41354

Members
Just remember to open the box right away and check the condition of the fish. If you have any DOA's (we hope not) take a picture. I don't know who the seller was but, most require a picture within a certain time after you sign for the delivery. I have had very few DOA's over the past few years but it is better to be prepared. Let us know how it goes Marge!

marge618

CCA member
Thanks Fish Friends, :sign0092:

I appreciate your input and will:

1. Get the water temperature close to that in the tank
2. get the fish in their new tank guickly.
3. Take pictures of any DOA for records.

This all sounds just like the steps for fish you just brought home from the LFS. I thought shipping fish UPS was much MORE stressful on the fish.

Is there anything else I can do to help these newcomers thrive? :jumping0002:

Later,
Marge

marge618

CCA member
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (marge618 @ Mar 4 2008, 09:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Thanks Fish Friends, :sign0092:

I appreciate your input and will:

1. Get the water temperature close to that in the tank
2. get the fish in their new tank guickly.
3. Take pictures of any DOA for records.

This all sounds just like the steps for fish you just brought home from the LFS. I thought shipping fish UPS was much MORE stressful on the fish.

Is there anything else I can do to help these newcomers thrive? :jumping0002:

Later,
Marge[/b]

Yes Mike,
Step 5 Quarantine the fish

Yes George and Robert
Step 4 Net fish and dispose of old water

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
Good advice from all.

It is probably just picky, but I dump the fish into a net and catch the old water in a bucket to dispose of it. It probably isn't enough to cause a problem but I don't want that old water. Sure, the fish are out of water for a few seconds, but I haven't heard any of them (except maybe the Raphaels) complain.

George

The Raf's are fun out of water.....I agree with disposing of the water without letting it in the tank. Just a good precaution.

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
Marge, you forgot...
0.) make sure you're there and don't forget to open the door. :smashfreakB:

marge618

CCA member
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SubMariner @ Mar 4 2008, 10:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Marge, you forgot...
0.) make sure you're there and don't forget to open the door. :smashfreakB:[/b]

Funny!!!! I am sitting by the front door. There is even a sign on the door that says "Knock Loudly" so UPS can't sneak away and miss me!

Later,
Marge

Artee

Members
just to add.

I use a bucket and put the fish and water into it and use a airline tubing and let water from the tank drip into it , slowly at first and increase the flow untill you've reach at least 3x the vol. of water or more, usually about 45 minutes to one hour. then net the fish one at a time, watch the first fish and see if it is adjusting well.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (marge618 @ Mar 4 2008, 10:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SubMariner @ Mar 4 2008, 10:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Marge, you forgot...
0.) make sure you're there and don't forget to open the door. :smashfreakB:[/b]

Funny!!!! I am sitting by the front door. There is even a sign on the door that says "Knock Loudly" so UPS can't sneak away and miss me!

Later,
Marge
[/b][/quote]

longstocking

Members
I do what francine does as well. I'm sure you aleady have the fish.... hope you are enjoying them :)

But I do the same proceedure as when I buy fish at a store. Get the temp right, net and dump.

When I order from the farm these are the suggestions they give me:
A) Open bag up
B) Take fish out either net or hand
C) Plop fish in tank
D) 100% success ratio

The reasoning behind this is the water is contaminated with fish wastes, ammonia, and other things that it is best to get them in the fresh water. Temperature should be within +/- 15 degrees of your tank; of course the fish is already stressed through shipping but would you rather them stay in the bag longer then need be? I understand the "shock" but the fish I deal with, Haplchromines, Peacocks, are pretty hearty and can recover a lot quicker than your other cichlids ie tanganyikans. I have used this method and have had a 100% success rate. Granite, different methods work also, but in all actuality it is up to the shipper how they shipped the fish and the condition they arrive in. If the shipper did their job correctly then you shouldn't have a problem, If the fish come in in BAD SHAPE then I use other measures like putting them in a seperate tank but they all still get the open/plop method. After I do this I add any chemicals, salts, water conditioners, etc. to get the fish in a calm state. Cut out the lights and feed 24 hours later (medicated food).
jpk

dogofwar

CCA Members
I'm with James - the sooner that you get the fish out of the bag and into a tank, the better. The water might be warmer in the tank, but I've never had an issue.

I cut the bag open and dump the fish into a net...and drop the fish in the tank. I'd probably acclimate if there are big pH differences.

Puting water from other places into your tank is the fish tank equivalent of having random, unprotected sex. You never know what you might pick up...

I try to put new fish into their own tank so that they can relax and acclimate without others further stressing them out.

Never lost any fish with this method...

Matt

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (James Kelley @ Mar 4 2008, 01:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
A) Open bag up
C) Plop fish in tank
D) 100% success ratio

The reasoning behind this is the water is contaminated with fish wastes, ammonia, and other things that it is best to get them in the fresh water. Temperature should be within +/- 15 degrees of your tank; of course the fish is already stressed through shipping but would you rather them stay in the bag longer then need be? I understand the "shock" but the fish I deal with, Haplchromines, Peacocks, are pretty hearty and can recover a lot quicker than your other cichlids ie tanganyikans. I have used this method and have had a 100% success rate. Granite, different methods work also, but in all actuality it is up to the shipper how they shipped the fish and the condition they arrive in. If the shipper did their job correctly then you shouldn't have a problem, If the fish come in in BAD SHAPE then I use other measures like putting them in a seperate tank but they all still get the open/plop method. After I do this I add any chemicals, salts, water conditioners, etc. to get the fish in a calm state. Cut out the lights and feed 24 hours later (medicated food).
jpk[/b]

marge618

CCA member
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (James Kelley @ Mar 4 2008, 01:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
A) Open bag up
C) Plop fish in tank
D) 100% success ratio

jpk[/b]

James, Matt: Time to cut out the lights and feed 24 hours later!

WOW. The UPS guys came at 1:06pm. Talk about cutting it short. Now that every fish is situated correctly (New cichlids in one quarantine tank,... new catfish in another quarantine tank... ) Remembered to get rid of the old water.

Lights out. They will get fed in 24 hours. :indifferent0020:

Tune in on Wed for updates.

:animal0028: x 9 (I counted there's an extra cichlid!)

4 Syn. O catfish :happy0012: :happy0012: :happy0012: :happy0012: (already speedy)

Later,
Marge

cyradis4

Members
We use the plop and dump method. But as we know that the fish are going to be cold coming in, and as we use strict quarantine, we already have the tanks on the cold side so we don't have to worry much about temp. Also, when we can we find out what pH the fish were in so we can match that too.

We use the dump-fish-in-net-over-bucket-and-plop-in-tank method. Never lost a fish this way.

Hope all is well!!!!!
Amanda.