• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Uniseals - Two Thumbs Up!

Charlutz

Members
I was having some problems getting a good seal on my sump using DIY bulkheads. Most of the problem was that I was using storage containers as my sumps and the sides were not exactly vertical, leading to some downward pressure on the bulkhead which caused small gaps. I found a product called Uniseals. Link is to the cheapest place I found to buy, $4 each, and $7 shipping. For some reason, reef supply companies charge a lot for shipping. A number of places wanted $10+ to ship two uniseals which couldn't have weighed more than a couple ounces each.

The Uniseals were advertised to work on rounded surfaces. This product is basically a big grommet. You decide what size of PVC pipe you want to use and get the appropriate sized uniseal. You then drill a hole of a size corresponding to the manufacturer's instructions. It is very important that the hole be perfectly round and free of burrs or jagged edges. Thanks to a tip from a club member, I was able to get a holesaw kit from Harborfreight.com in Glen Burnie for $3. I thought about trying it with a jigsaw, but in retrospect, I don't think it would have worked well. After driling the hole, you fit in the uniseal and then insert the PVC pipe. The instructions say you may have to use some liquid dishsoap to lubricate the outside of the pipe, but I found it to fit easily without. The seals are perfect. Bulkheads are likely to be a better option in other cases, the uniseals worked perfectly for me.

IMG_4603.jpg

Charlutz

Members
The expertise is all in the drilling. For plastic or acrylic, it's easy. You can just use a standard holesaw. The difficulty is for people drilling tanks. Thanks to the internet, you can get diamond bits from Asia for less than $20, but how many people are willing to drill their own tanks or glass sumps? If you want to do a DIY on the cheap, my plastic containers were $13 each, plus the $4 uniseals. If not, you're looking at the price of a glass tank, $20 to drill it, and $12 for the bulkhead. Big difference. There are advantages to the glass sump, no doubt. Just depends what you're willing to trade off.

longstocking

Members
Drill glass tanks is pretty easy. Just a couple tricks that you need to know before doing it.

I use plastic sumps though. But, I have ( or I should say watched Bill ) drill glass tanks.

Charlutz

Members
Drill glass tanks is pretty easy. Just a couple tricks that you need to know before doing it.

I use plastic sumps though. But, I have ( or I should say watched Bill ) drill glass tanks.[/b]

That's right. Relatively speaking, drilling the plastic is much easier, but from what I've researched, drilling glass isn't too bad with the proper tools and technique. I'm actually interested in giving it a shot. Now I just have to create a need to do it. :lol: Sounds like with the right bit, a water dam to cool it and support for the backside of the glass, it isn't that difficult. I wish my big tank were drilled. The HOB overflows work ok once they are tuned correctly but since I converted to a double overflow two weeks ago, I haven't managed to get it quite right. Problem is, I am not moving that tank any time soon and won't have an opportunity to drill it. If anyone has a tank they'd let me experiment on, I'll be happy to do it!

Spine

Members
Drill glass tanks is pretty easy. Just a couple tricks that you need to know before doing it.[/b]

I practiced on a cracked tank before I drilled my glass tank. If you dont have a broken tank most hardware stores will give away scrap (broken) glass to practice with. Even if you have to pay, a couple bucks or less can get a small peice of glass for practice.