• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Turn over rate for this tank?

captmicha

Members
I need to buy or make a new filter for a 65 tall aquarium. I want gentle spots, but the dirt is heavy with two 4" or so common plecos.

The tank is about 4' from where the filter would go.

Since it's an odd tank with a different size tank footprint, and the plecos are messy, could someone please let me know how many gallons per hour/how strong the water pump or filter needs to be? With these specs, I don't think a pump chart will be accurate?

I'll eventually be moving the plecos to a bigger, long tank. But that won't be for a while.

Thank you.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
Generally strong filtration is considered 10X the volume of the tank (650 gph in your case). Since it needs to travel, I would increase the gph to cover that distance. Maybe something in the 700-800 gph range.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Horizontal distance of a pump to the tank won't have much effect on flow. Vertical distance will.

Personally, I'd go with the biggest canister filter I could afford. Most fish don't mind the flow.

mchambers

Former CCA member
To be slightly contrary here, I'm not sure any filter will really deal with the pleco mess. I think you're going to need to do some vacuuming every couple of weeks.

10 times the water volume seems pretty high to me, especially on a tall tank. I'd be worried the tank would look like a whirlpool. If you can adjust the filter flow, then that won't be a problem. Maybe an Eheim 2017 or a 2028? Sometimes you can pick them up used on Craigslist or eBay.

dogofwar

CCA Members
A circulation pump or powerhead near the bottom of the tank will help get the pleco poop off the floor of the tank...and into places that an HOB or canister (or air-driven box filter) can pick up.

You'll still need to siphon but this will make a difference.

Matt

mchambers

Former CCA member
A circulation pump or powerhead near the bottom of the tank will help get the pleco poop off the floor of the tank...and into places that an HOB or canister (or air-driven box filter) can pick up.

You'll still need to siphon but this will make a difference.

Matt
Yes, I agree. I thought of this after I posted. You could get away with a filter that has flow of 5-6 times tank volume (or even less) if you added a powerhead. Probably be cheaper, too.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
Yes, I agree. I thought of this after I posted. You could get away with a filter that has flow of 5-6 times tank volume (or even less) if you added a powerhead. Probably be cheaper, too.
That's a good idea. I over filtrate as a habit from keeping large cichlids, so my opinion may be overkill. I also only own tanks with regular or larger floor space (aka longs or breeders, no high tanks). I proceed to filtrate the crap out of them (literally). I don't own a powerhead, but I like the idea if you need more flow or if you want to stir up lighter particles from the bottom of a high tank.