• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Trumpet snails

fishman13

Members
Any one know how to get rid of trumpet snails? And if you whant some trumpet snails you can have them for free

verbal

CCA Members
You probably want to increase you gravel vacuuming and possibly decrease your feeding. If you have a small population of them you will barely notice them(they hang out in the substrate and seem to be very nocturnal). If they have a population explosion, then you will notice a lot of them.

Assassin snails may be an option. What do you have in the tank?

toddnbecka

Members
If you don't have shrimp or other inverts in the tank you want to keep alive copper sulfate solution (Had-a-Snail, liytle bottle of blue liquid) will kill them. Alternatively, a small copper plumbing fitting placed in the tank or filter will do the same thing more slowly. Only catch is, the silicone will absorb some of the copper ions and release them again over time, so the tank will never be useable for shrimp after it's contaminated with copper IME.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Only catch is, the silicone will absorb some of the copper ions and release them again over time, so the tank will never be useable for shrimp after it's contaminated with copper IME.

Interesting...

Fish teens

Members
You can always buy some loaches in my experience they will keep them under control. My favorites are Zebra loaches (Botia striata) they don't get huge like clown loaches and they get the job done. The only thing about loaches is you have to have at least three in a tank or they will get lonely.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

T

tug

MTS are a PIA to get out of the substrate without replacing it. Even then I had one show up after adding the new substrate. I was fortunate to have got it in time and they are now all gone. Assassin snails, I tried that. Assassin snails do not seem to go after MTS. Never tried loaches, so I can't say.

When killing them with copper what should be done about the dead snail population? I have a 10 gallon tank that still has them.

T

tug

It might have been that the Assassin snail did not like the substrate I was using. At that time, it was more gravel then sand. :blush:

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
If you don't have shrimp or other inverts in the tank you want to keep alive copper sulfate solution (Had-a-Snail, liytle bottle of blue liquid) will kill them. Alternatively, a small copper plumbing fitting placed in the tank or filter will do the same thing more slowly. Only catch is, the silicone will absorb some of the copper ions and release them again over time, so the tank will never be useable for shrimp after it's contaminated with copper IME.
+1 I read that in another post.

bdmminer

Members
You can always buy some loaches in my experience they will keep them under control. My favorites are Zebra loaches (Botia striata) they don't get huge like clown loaches and they get the job done. The only thing about loaches is you have to have at least three in a tank or they will get lonely.

I agree with FT why put in chemicals in a tank wich may make inhabitable for future species I have had this problem in almost all of my tanks and I tried everything that was non harmful and I still got them again! Just make light of the situation and think of it as an excuse for a new species in the tank and it's also free food for them. It might take a long time for all the snails to disappear but eventually all you will have is empty shells!

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

JLW

CCA Members
I wouldn't take out the gravel.... because one of the buggers is going to be hanging onto a rock, a plant, or on the trim... and it'll produce a zillion babies and put you back where you are.

MTS are INCREDIBLY hard to get rid of. Definitely decrease feeding, increase vacuuming, and try a loach, or assassin snails.

Also, try trapping them regularly for a while. Get a piece of celery. Get a small tupperware type container. Put the celery into the tupperware container, sink it in the tank before bed. (Ideally, bury it slightly, so that the top is just above the gravel line, but it doesn't matter too much). It'll be full of snails in the morning.

You can also, of course, put the lid on it with some holes through it. Make the holes big enough for the MTS, but small enough to exclude anyone who might eat the celery. (Flying foxes, cory cats, and other catfish).

T

tug

If you remove any wood or decretive stuff from the tank, letting it stay over night in a bucket of water and dunking it a few times the next day will cause most of them to fall off. No eggs, MTS are live bearers.

Removing and replacing the substrate has it's down side. The need to reestablish beneficial bacteria for one. Copper sulfate will leave a bunch of dead copper-ridden snails under the gravel and will need to be removed anyway. I changed my gravel substrate because I was moving and didn't like the gravel. Deciding to change the gravel meant I needed to treat the tank like it was basically new and needed to recycle. Plants can help in this regard.

A small population of MTS can be a good thing. Their not plant eaters. They rome throughout the substrate cleaning up organics but overfeed you're fish and you will see them everywhere. If you have large numbers running to the surface of the tank during the day you have other problems to worry about. This can be one way to catch them. Turn off your filter and when the snails crawl up the sides, net them off the glass. :lol:

turfboss

Members
If you have large numbers running to the surface of the tank during the day you have other problems to worry about.

Mike - by other problems do you just mean you have a lot of them or is there some other intrinsic issue if they are crawling up the glass during the day??

T

tug

BOD maybe.

In my limited experience, MTS are tolerant of just about any water conditions we can keep fish. They do run for the surface if dissolved oxygen (DO) levels drop. This is often due to high levels of organic stuff i.e., bacteria breaking down organics consume a great deal of oxygen. Low DO also seems to reduces the efficiency of nitrifying bacteria. Nitrifiers compete poorly for oxygen and if surrounded by a community of bacteria breaking down organics, if I understand correctly, increases "biological oxygen demand" (BOD) and the likelihood of an ammonia or nitrite spike.

Of course the same solutions that rid a tank of MTS should also correct for some of these issues but improving water flow and DO are often over looked .

I hope this helps.

T

tug

After seeing how effective they are with my own eyes, the Krib (P. pulcher) in a matter of a week snacked on small MTS in my planted tank. To this I can only add that I no longer see any MTS anywhere.

I have two females looking to give away. ;)

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
Depending on the amount of gravel or sand in the tank and how assessable it is, you might consider taking out a bucket full with snails. Then add a cup or so of saturated salt solution. Stir up and let set about 20 minutes and then rinse well and put back in to the tank. A saturated salt solution is made by taking a quart or so of water and adding salt crystals until not more salt dissolves. Alternately you can add a cup of salt crystals directly to the wet sand or gravel. The snails cannot survive the high concentration of salt. If you rinse in a bucket with a hose, you can get rid of most of the dead snails as they are lighter than the sand or gravel.
This also means you have a lot of stuff left in the gravel you did not clean that will maintain the bio activity. You will not get rid of all the snails but will get rid of a sizable chunk.

todda

Members
1. suck all your sand out with a tube into a bucket.
2. spread sand out on cookie sheets.
3. set cookie sheets outside in the sun for a few sunny days.
4. strain sand through screen into bucket to remove dead snails.
5. use had a snail to get remaining babies you might have missed.

* OR you can boil your sand for a few minutes in a large cooking pot? Let cool down them put back in your tank