• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Top 5 Fish?

dogofwar

CCA Members
Rachel and Uaru Joey Mullen (who will be one of our speakers at The Big Fish Deal, Mar 10-12 at the Hilton in Gaithersburg, MD...register today: www.thebigfishdeal.com) put together a nice video of Rachel's Top 5 aquarium fish:

What are yours?

Matt

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Cool video. If I had to pick my top five, in no particular order, I'd say - amatitlania sp, (covict types), centrarchus, heros sp,(severum types), amphilophus citrenellum and chaetostoma sp. (although I've yet to have a lot of success keeping them).

dogofwar

CCA Members
My list:
1. Cichlasoma dimerus "Bella Union" - just a gorgeous acara...and catching them myself in Uruguay is a dream!
2. Australoheros sp. - "Chanchitos": kind of like acaras only browner. The "OC" (original cichlid) and collecting them from where Darwin (!) and his crew caught them and brought them back to England (in the 1830s) makes them that much more special
3. Amatitlania sp. - "Convicts" - I just never get tired of their shape, parental care and sass. That there are so many wild varieties - from the little, peaceful blue "Honduran Red Point" to the large, angry, yellow Rio Cubayo variety.
4. Satanoperca daemon - Just a beautiful fish with long thread fins...and (unfortunately) an affinity for black water. A challenging fish that I haven't yet bred.
5. Hypsophrys nicaraguensis - I remember painting these in art class in like 8th grade and have loved them since: colorful, unsual spawning behavior, dimorphic, not too aggressive. What more could you want?

What are your favorites?

Matt

xny89

Administrator
Staff member
Let's see
1) Angel fish. Have always loved them, particularly the way they glide around the tank and their attitude. Since joining CCA, I've found the various color combinations and scale variations to be great. Have had angels in my tanks since the 1970's
2) Cory cats. again, lots of color/stripe patterns to choose from
3) Mbuna, particularly the zebroids and yellow labs
4) Malawi peacocks. Have only had one, but the color combinations on these is incredible. If I didn't have so many mbuna, I would have more peacocks
5) Rams or kribensis. Aside from angels, kribs were my first cichlids, followed by rams.

1. Green Terror. This is one fish I never get tired of and have kept continuously for the longest time. It has the flowerhorn brilliant color and form, yet doesn't get too big and only mildly aggressive. It is highly interactive, and a single male otten flirts with tankmates and owner
2. Cryptoheros panamensis, sajica, nanoleutus species. These are small colorful CAs that form strong bonding. I have an aging pair of panamensis that have bonded since adolescent and I love to watch them defend territory against much bigger tankmates..
3. Malawian Eye Biter. This is one African that I always repeat whenever I lose one. Malawian fish share similar body shape and color, and mouthbrooding behavior is uninteresting to me. But I always keep one male Eye Biter for its cool color and unusual predator look.
4. Lamprologus leulupi. This is another African that I never get tired of and always keep a colony to take up home in rock piles. I love their brilliant color and constant interaction with one another.
5. Rams. This is my first and childhood cichlid. But I haven't kept them for a long time because I am keeping large cichlid and Ram don't fit in. They need warm soft water and tankmates no meaner than tetra. I may set up a tank dedicated to them in the future but not now.

Rainbow cichlids!! (yes, top of the list)
Agree with Rachel on apistos, although I've not had a lot of luck
Blue orchid peacocks
Cuviceps (really enjoying these at the moment)
Rummynose tetras! Something about them always make me happy

Plus, I love my crystal red shrimp

rawdeakka

Members
Aulonocara Lwanda
Lethrinops Intermedius
Placidochromis phenochilus mdoka
Andinoacara pulcher
Nimbochromis Venustus

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
Thats hard to just pick 5, I'd have to go with pearl stingrays (or really any stingray) , barramundi, siamese giant carp, blue base crossback arowanas, and flagtail prochilodus.

Becca

Members
1. Sphaerichthys oshromenoides
2. Dicrossus maculatus
3. Tanichthys albanubes
4. Pelvicachromis puncher (a classic)
5. Brevibora dorscioletta

finzz

Members
1. Corydoras
2. Apistogramma
3. Aspidoras
4. Any other SA dwarf cichlid
5. Scleromystax

I'd be more specific, but favorites change from day to day.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
In no order...
1. Angelfish - wild types
2. The cichlids formerly known as pelvicachromis taeniatus
3. Any acara type
4. Empire gudgeon
5. Geophagus altifrons, winemilleri and red head tapajos

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
Rocio Octofasciata aka Jack Dempseys (Both EBJD's and Normal Jacks)

Metriclima fainzilberi Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba (Awesome, but very angry fish)

Lamprologus Ocellatus "Gold"

L046 Zebra Plecos (have yet to keep them...bucket list fish) or any pleco for that matter

Any Smaller Corydoras (3 inches or less)

Honorable mention:
Harlequin Rasbora
Any of the Altolamprologus sp.
Any of the Labidochromis sp.
Hemichromis Red Jewels