• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Tips for drying out carpet?

Becca

Members
2 weekends ago we purchased a tank from another member that was supposedly in good condition/ready to go/filters plumbed in, etc...

Shortly after getting it up and running, which took longer than expected because the filters were not actually plumbed and parts were missing, a hose burst. Luckily, I was standing right there and managed to minimize the damage. It became evident after inspection that the hose had been glued together inside a coupling before bursting - yay!

My husband topped off the tank and checked obsessively to ensure no more hoses were leaking. He replaced hoses and couplers on the filters to be safe.

The next morning I checked on it to be sure of the same. No hoses were leaking, but the floor was awfully wet. I realized that, when filled to the rim, the tank leaked. This was because of 3 unmentioned cracks in the trim that did not impact the cross braces, but will channel water out of the tank when water touches them, so, more water on the floor. It's among many things the seller probably should've mentioned when advertising and selling the tank, but it's a bit late for that.

The good news is that this is the ground floor, so it minimizes damage. The bad news is that our house came fully carpeted. I've been trying to dry the carpet out since Monday. I've used a wet-vac and carpet shampooer to suck out as much water as possible, plus kept the wood stove and a space heater running when I'm home to keep the room warm enough to encourage evaporation.

Unfortunately, the floor is still pretty wet, particularly under the tank and stand, where I can't easily get with a wet vac, and the room is starting to smell musty. This room is our family room and also my kids' play room. I have a baby who crawls around on the floor and I'd like for him not to be crawling around on a health hazard/mold problem.

Has anyone been through this? Does anyone have any tips? Tearing up the carpet in the room and replacing it is not an option due to both costs and the number of large aquariums in the room (125, 210, and 92).

Please don't ask me who sold the tank. I'm not here trying to drag anyone through the mud. I've let the person know how very displeased I am and also let him know that this has been pretty costly to deal with. At this point, I'm just trying to minimize additional costs and get my house back in shape.

FishEggs

Cover any open top tanks. Rent a big dehumidifier and get a bunch of fans going. Need a lot of air movement. If you have a forced air HVAC system set the fan to ON instead of auto. There are also anti-microbial sprays you can use to prevent mold from growing. The issue is going to be getting down to the padding if there is padding. Have to dry it out first.

Becca

Members
Cover any open top tanks. Rent a big dehumidifier and get a bunch of fans going. Need a lot of air movement. If you have a forced air HVAC system set the fan to ON instead of auto. There are also anti-microbial sprays you can use to prevent mold from growing. The issue is going to be getting down to the padding if there is padding. Have to dry it out first.

I believe our padding is actually moisture resistant, just based upon the ease with which spills usually come up.

I'm going to see if a neighbor has a dehumidifier we can borrow before I go out and buy one and I'll look into those sprays. It looks like Home Depot does rent them, but the closest one is Aspen Hill and I can't get out there until the weekend. Apparently hubby read something about putting diatomaceous earth over it, too.

Last edited:

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
"... read something about putting diatomaceous earth over it, too."

This or of baking soda. You could also use a hair dryer and then the baking soda, but the baking soda helps remove any smell.

Becca

Members
"... read something about putting diatomaceous earth over it, too."

This or of baking soda. You could also use a hair dryer and then the baking soda, but the baking soda helps remove any smell.

I poured baking soda on it this AM... I can try a hair dryer, but it's a good 3'x4' patch of carpet (at least).

Seriously, at this point, we've nearly doubled what we paid for the tank just dealing with the mess and parts that weren't as described.

JLW

CCA Members
Jon's suggestion is the best.

I can loan you a dehumidifier or two, as well, but I'd need them back soon, and I think Aspen Hill is a lot closer. :)

Jim Anderson

CCA Members
Becca, sorry to hear that. The carpet blower and dehumidifier are the best and quickest Pieces of equipment to help you out.
Good luck

Becca

Members
Neighbor lent us a dehumidifier. Odd that Frederick didn't come up in my zip code search. It would normally be an easier drive than Aspen Hill any time but evening rush. I'll check it out.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
If the dehumidifier was run long enough, it would likely pull enough out that the result won't be too bad under the 2x4s. May see some mold under there later on depending on what was left. You can keep an eye on it for now and run fans on/near them if moisture can be felt. Air movement will help dry the rest of it out. Sorry to see you go through this. Hope you do something awesome with the tank! I also hope whoever sold it to you sees what they put you through and never does anything like this again.

Becca

Members
If the dehumidifier was run long enough, it would likely pull enough out that the result won't be too bad under the 2x4s. May see some mold under there later on depending on what was left. You can keep an eye on it for now and run fans on/near them if moisture can be felt. Air movement will help dry the rest of it out. Sorry to see you go through this. Hope you do something awesome with the tank! I also hope whoever sold it to you sees what they put you through and never does anything like this again.
Thanks.

Have you checked with home insurance? Insurance will cover water damage from leaky tank. I have made claim from pipe leak flooding and the insurance paid professional to do cleanup using huge fans to blow dry the floor

This is why I am reluctant to buy big used tank. For small tanks, I can test fill it in the garage for a few days before deployment. Big tanks are too heavy to move around to do the testing. The damage caused by leak is much more expensive than the bargain.

Becca

Members
Have you checked with home insurance? Insurance will cover water damage from leaky tank. I have made claim from pipe leak flooding and the insurance paid professional to do cleanup using huge fans to blow dry the floor

This is why I am reluctant to buy big used tank. For small tanks, I can test fill it in the garage for a few days before deployment. Big tanks are too heavy to move around to do the testing. The damage caused by leak is much more expensive than the bargain.
Insurance does, yeah, but the deductible is still a few hundred. If the damage had been worse (had it happened when I wasn't standing right there) we'd habe gone that route and/or taken the seller to small claims court. We tried to manage it as civilly and reasonably as possible since we don't want to be on bad terms with club members. We at least got an apology, though some help with cleanup or a partial refund would've been better.