• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Those who came before us...

Tannin Aquatics

CCA Members
Who are your biggest aquarium hobby influences? Who influences your philosophy on fish keeping, breeding, etc?

Takashi_Amano_large.jpg

You know, who influenced you the way Muddy Waters influenced Led Zeppelin, or the way Roxy Music influenced Duran Duran, or how Dr. Dre influenced 50 Cent, or...well, you get it?

Led-Zeppelin1_large.jpg

dr_dre-54661ccb6d221-l_large.jpeg

Who were the aquarium hobbyists who made you want to do all the cool stuff that you do? The ones who paved the way, laid down the carpet, set up the groundwork of your hobby experience?

IMG_4463_large.JPG

For me, growing up in a house full of guppy tanks (My dad was a big fancy guppy fan), the names that came up often were the legendary guppy breeders of the day- Paul Hahnel. His books were all over my dad's fish library, so it was only natural that I'd end up reading them as a kid. (click to read more)

dogofwar

CCA Members
Great topic!

Probably the name that inspired me most is the infamous Dr. Herbert Axelrod. His Atlas (1st Edition) still sits on my bookshelf, a Christmas present in like 1986 when I was but a tween... I spent way too much of my childhood with that book. His Breeding Tropical Fish books were amazing and inspired me to try any number of fish.

But the one who really got me into cichlids? (BFD 5 speaker and billiant, awesome, kind, funny guy) Dr. Wayne Leibel's Eartheater series in FAMA in the late '80s. Back then (and probably now) new world cichlids were decidedly not cool. But Wayne's articles made them exciting and THE fish to have (for me at least). Peacocks, schmeacocks. I wanted Geos!

The other Cichlid "OG" is Dr. Paul Loiselle. His "The Cichlid Aquarium" stands as the best book on the subject still.

Matt