• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

The unappreciated dwarf cichlid

I recently got six curviceps from a breeder from PVAS. This is a very unappreciated cichlid. It stays small, but not too small. Definitely not aggressive, but definitely with personality. And while their color is somewhat subtle, I'm thrilled with the blue specks and red fins and irridescence (sp). They're still settling in and this is not a good photo, but you get the idea.

curviceps.JPG

FishEggs

I've been thinking about trading my group of Herotilapia multispinosa for a group of them. How are they on the plant life in the tank?
They are a beautiful fish in their mature breeding colors.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
While I don't mind dwarfs (kept several in the past), I would honestly have a hard time getting excited about such muted colors. Keep feeding pics as they go along. Maybe it'll change my tune. I have kept Bolivian rams before, which are also a muted gray-ish.

FishEggs

I used to have a heavily planted 55 gallon until i put 6 Rainbow cichlids in there. Now all that is left is a few plants of crypts. must not taste good to them though i see one take a bite every so often.

chriscoli

Administrator
While I don't mind dwarfs (kept several in the past), I would honestly have a hard time getting excited about such muted colors. Keep feeding pics as they go along. Maybe it'll change my tune. I have kept Bolivian rams before, which are also a muted gray-ish.

As she mentioned...it's not an excellent picture. They really are a beautiful cichlid once they settle in.

mchambers

Former CCA member
They are beautiful. I also have a group of L. araguaiae that I got from Batfish. They're also very attractive and relatively peaceful.

I had rainbows for quite a while and, frankly, they are my favorite fish except for being such good parents. After I flooded the club with their offspring, I had to give them up. They never bothered my plants. They were much prettier than my curviceps to be honest

dogofwar

CCA Members
Funny - we haven't seen them in the auction for awhile. They'll go back to being rare :)

Matt

I had rainbows for quite a while and, frankly, they are my favorite fish except for being such good parents. After I flooded the club with their offspring, I had to give them up. They never bothered my plants. They were much prettier than my curviceps to be honest

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I have curviceps in a planted tank and dorsigera in another planted tank. Neither bother the plants. One of my curviceps is always black with a grey horizontal line through the middle.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
I hope you know I wasn't insulting you or the fish by the color comment. I was simply saying where I am as a fish keeper right now, they don't move the needle for me. That's not to say that they aren't great fish and that you made a wrong decision. I like dwarf cichlids. And I know all about flooding the market on a fish. When I had my Jewels a while back, I once traded in 76 fry and both parents to a fish store. It took them over a year to get rid of them all. I had already sold them 4 batches of 36 each from the previous spawn. They were relentless.

Anyway, put some pics up of these guys and gals in a month once they are settled in. I'd be curious to see what they look like.