• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

The modern fish geek...our "in-depth" analysis!

Tannin Aquatics

CCA Members
There are few things in the hobby, or in life, for that matter, that are near certainties. Too many variables, too many factors at play…

Unknown_3216b439-dbfa-45c1-a3f9-ca06da401c33_grande.jpeg

On the other hand, as a fish geek, you may not know this, but you pretty much have completely predictable behaviors that make you a prime candidate for sweeping generalizations. And, as the self-proclaimed guardian of fish-keeping "culture", I’m here to educate you today by making of few of these sweeping generalizations!

audienceSM_95acfbbc-03f5-4286-b43a-fd36b4915500_grande.jpg

As a fish geek, it’s like in your DNA to think or act a certain way when you see stuff. You can’t reprogram yourself. It’s "hardwired" into your essence. Some examples to prove my hypothesis:

It’s impossible for you to pass up even the smallest, most obscure local fish store or pet shop that sells tropical fish, whenever you are out and about. I mean, seeing that battered sign that says “Tropical Fish” on the side of that weathered, bleak mini-mall calls to you like a siren. There is little you can do but make that quick turn, find a parking space, and causally stroll in to the shop. Sure, it may not look very promising on the outside (That poster for the "latest" under gravel filter powerhead system might give you pause), but this is the kind of place from which fishkeeping “urban legends” are spawned! Is THIS the place where you’ll find that Nanochromis transvestitus mis-marked as a “Fancy Krib?” You only know if you go, right? What are you waiting for? Flip a U-turn!

Petshop-sign-540x320_grande.jpg

(click to read more)

mchambers

Former CCA member
Best post ever! My favorite passage:

The local home improvement center is your shrine, and the plumbing department holds the objects of your desire, but you can’t help but want to re-purpose just about every bucket, container, rain gutter, and shelving unit to some obscure fish-keeping purpose that you’ve been continuously mulling about in your subconscious for weeks. I know how you think. You are the one who figures out how to make a complete Bucephelandra propagation setup with a concrete mixing tray, some odd-sized PVC parts, and an LED shelf light. You can build the whole thing for only $17 dollars! You’re innovative, you’re creative...you’re...broke. Yup. You are a TRUE fish geek!​

Tannin Aquatics

CCA Members
Yeah, that last part about the "economic status" of the typical hardcore hobbyist rings true to many- unfortunately! Glad you enjoyed!

-Scott