• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Tank size for C. myrnae group

captmicha

Members
Thinking about moving my group of 5 adult C. myrnae to a 40 breeder.

They're currently in a 55 gallon but it seems like a bit of overkill given their general docility when I could upgrade one of my other fish.

Thoughts? How often do you think I'd have to do water changes on this size tank and stocking?

I tend to oversize tanks to cut down on water changes.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
A pair would likely do fine in either tank. I have had better luck with groups of similar fish in a 55 with a “territory” on each end of the tank and site breaks in the middle. In a 40, i would suspect that once a pair forms, the others will take a beating.

mchambers

Former CCA member
I've got my group in a 40 breeder. There are several adults and 30-40 juveniles. (Anyone want some juvies?:)) It's crowded, but no violence.

captmicha

Members
I've got my group in a 40 breeder. There are several adults and 30-40 juveniles. (Anyone want some juvies?:)) It's crowded, but no violence.
Nice! Hopefully mine will do the same.

If not, they'll move back to a 55 again.

My cichlids seem to become more aggressive the larger the tanks I put them in. Is weird.

stany

CCA Members
I think it's how they are introduced. A couple adults with fry that grow up in the tank are more tolerated when adults are not threatened for their territory. Would bet that changes when the fry get to breeding size. Moving a group to a new tank starts the territory battle all over.I have two different labs, yellow and clown, that have mated and have three generations in the same tank with minor chasing. Gave 10 of the hybrids to my grandson a month ago and he is experiencing territorial spats.

captmicha

Members
These convicts are pretty tame. The worst issue I have with them is unequal food distribution. The bigger ones are too competitive and I've got three that stay pretty small while two are much larger. They're females.