• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Taken advantage of or Overzealous Salesman?

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
I sometimes laugh when I read some craigslist ads, and the prices people ask for equipment. It also humors me when they try to explain why something is so valuable, or how they're doing a good deed by selling it for less than face value.

We used to have a Craigslist "deals" thread, but figured I'd start something new, and see where the conversation goes.

Were these people seriously take advantage of when they bought the setup? Or are they hoping some naive person will believe their story without knowing anything about tank pricing and buy the setup?

I don't think I've seen any 10g kit for anything close to $100, they recently had kits on a black friday deal for under $50, but these people insist they paid $120 just for the tank! Its possible they paid that for everything, but even the decor is nothing fancy; purple/black/white gravel, resin fake driftwood piece, and a few plastic plants. Fish shown are a platy and raphael cat.

Full text and link below.

This is a steal of a deal! We are selling our 10 gallon fresh water tank with decoration, supplies and fish included for just $150 (kitty not included) !!! The tank is under a year old and we paid $120 just for the tank. Everything is in perfect working condition.

Included is food, heater, vacuum, chemicals, decorations, pump, filters, fish

We know we will be losing money on this deal, but we must sell ASAP!

https://baltimore.craigslist.org/pet/d/baltimore-10-gallon-fresh-water-tank/6784752800.html

lock jaw

CCA Members
People got to hustle to make that extra buck. I wonder if people buy those thinking they got a deal.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Wouldn't surprise me if someone inevitably buys it, currently that ad appears in 2 other sections, all different prices, one listed for $150. Our marketplace is just full of steals.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
We should create ad's linking people to our market place.
Yeah, but we might get people trying to sell their 10g setups for $150 in our marketplace then. Every now and then someone posts a few overpriced items and fades away when nobody offers to buy their stuff.

lock jaw

CCA Members
Well it would be their loss but we could gain more members. I didn't know about this group till someone in HOT told me about it.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Well it would be their loss but we could gain more members. I didn't know about this group till someone in HOT told me about it.
Recruiting members has always been something we've tried to improve, but have never found an easy answer for. I don't do social media, so I'm behind the curve on that, we need some outreach coordinators as Christine mentioned.