• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

T. Irregularis and T. Pasionis grow-outs

Gourami Swami

CCA Members
Just wanted to share my current grow-outs. Thoricthys pasionis and Theraps Irregularis. Got these fish from Wet Spot about 6 months ago, have not lost any fish from either group, both are doing great. Enjoying watching them grow.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Good looking tank!

How is the aggression on the theraps? I've never kept irregularis, but tried my hand with wesseli years ago. I started with a group of 8 and they did well until they hit about 3", and then it was almost over night that the dominant male decided that he wanted to kill all his brothers and sisters.

Gourami Swami

CCA Members
Yeah the irregularis are pretty aggressive. I think this mix is working right now because there are 10 cichlids, so the dominant male theraps is pretty distracted. I do want to move the pasionis group out pretty soon and let the theraps have this tank- hoping the male doesn't turn on his siblings at that point. The biggest theraps is about 3" now.
Wesseli look like great fish, have never seen them available anywhere but would be another I'm interested to keep

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I was fortunate enough to visit Rusty Wessel's fish house as part of a road trip to an ACA Convention, where they auctioned off the wesseli that he had bred. If I were to try to keep them again, I would put them in a 6' tank from the jump (I grew them out in a 40 breeder) and have tons of flow in the tank. In speaking with others who were successful in keeping them, the flow in the tank helps to keep them focused on swimming and not beating up on one another.

Gourami Swami

CCA Members
I was fortunate enough to visit Rusty Wessel's fish house as part of a road trip to an ACA Convention, where they auctioned off the wesseli that he had bred. If I were to try to keep them again, I would put them in a 6' tank from the jump (I grew them out in a 40 breeder) and have tons of flow in the tank. In speaking with others who were successful in keeping them, the flow in the tank helps to keep them focused on swimming and not beating up on one another.
Wow, I am jealous about getting to visit rusty's fishhouse! Have seen many videos. I also keep his signature X kallmani swordtails that came from that house.
I've heard the same thing about the flow. I have medium flow at the moment, I think when I do thin the stock I will try adding more rocks and doubling the flow to see if that keeps them occupied.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Rusty's fish house is pretty incredible, especially if you geek out over Central American cichlids. It's even more impressive when you realize that he probably collected most of the fish that are in his tanks.

What size tank is in the video?

Gourami Swami

CCA Members
Rusty's fish house is pretty incredible, especially if you geek out over Central American cichlids. It's even more impressive when you realize that he probably collected most of the fish that are in his tanks.

What size tank is in the video?
I bet it is, and I definitely geek out over obscure Centrals!
Tank in the video is 50g. Just a growout, will probably sell or move the thoricthys soon, and then keep the theraps in there until I have problems. I'm sure I'll need something much larger when they are adults, though their growth has been pretty slow thus far, so I figure I have a while still. They've grown maybe an inch tops in 6 months, with lots of large water changes.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Good luck with them. Keep us updated with progress.

I've always wanted to keep theraps coeruleus. Maybe one day I'll be able to dedicate a tank to them if they ever are available.

Gourami Swami

CCA Members
Will do! And yeah, the coeruleus are another awesome rheophilic species. They were available when I bought the Irregularis, I was debating between the two. Went for the irregularis because of the coloration on the adults, and seemed even more rare, though both are almost unseen in the hobby. Looks like wet spot only has one individual for sale left. Dan at CoA had some too a few months back, looks like he sold out, but currently has some F1 Lents