1. The Big Fish Deal is coming your way in March 2017. Watch for more information as we get closer.
  2. Don't forget to vote for your favorite picture in the Photo of the Month section.
  3. CCA Holiday party - December 10th More information soon!
  4. Remember we do not have a normal meeting in December. We have a Holiday Party instead.
  5. The Big Fish Deal with even Bigger Speakers. Joey Mullen + Shane Linder + Larry Johnson + Wayne Leibel

Switching Sw Set Up To Fw Set Up

Discussion in 'Old World' started by craby, Aug 29, 2005.

Tags:
  1. craby

craby Members

Last Activity:
    Aug 28, 2015
    I'm switching from the salt water relm to the fresh water relm. I am setting up a 70 gal tall (36x18x25 tall) w/ approx. 30 Julidocromis Marlieri's. I have the following ?'s:

1) I have some really nice live rock w/ lots of holes for them to hide in left over from my SW set up. Can I use it w/ the Tangs? Do I need to cure it? How?

2) I have (2) 24" Daylight 10K VHO's, (2) 400w 14K MH's, & (2) moon lights left over from my SW set up. What of this would you use on a Tang tank?

3) I have a w/d filter w/ Mag 7 return pump. Do you think this is enought/too much tank to sump turn over?

4) I have (4) Tunze Turbelle streams (flow rate 900 GPM min., 1600 GPM max.). The tank is really tall, but I don't know if it will be too much flow. Do you see any issue w/ using one or two of them, or should I just use Maxi Jet 1200 power heads?

5) I have a new bag of course crushed coral & some old crushed coral from my SW set up. Should I pitch the old crushed coral, or can it be salvaged? How can I salvage it?

6) I'm thinking of adding some Brichardi's to the mix in a little while. I'm also thinking of putting the 2" sand bed in the w/d filter sump & going bare bottom in the main tank. Do you see any adverse effects of going this route as far as biological filtration & the Brichardi's wanting to dig? :huh:

Thanks for your replies,
    Luke C.

2. JustRon

JustRon Members

Ronald Nielson
    Last Activity:
    Nov 5, 2012
    I have used gravel from a SW setup in FW. I just established the tank and cleaned frequently before adding fish, vacuum the gravel well. Same with rocks.

I wouldnt use the MH lights

The filters are fine and flow as well, better to overfilter than under.

I think that got your questions.