• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Surprise Albino BN Spawn

abcdefghi

Members
A few months back I picked up a pair of Albino BN pleco's for my 55G, as they got a little larger I discovered I had a male and female (the male started growing bristles) Anyway, recently I had noticed that I had not seen the male for a couple days. Usually he would be all over the tank, typically on a large piece of wood.

After scouring the tank as much as I could and finding no sign of him, I gave up, feeling slightly sad that it looked like he had passed away and I would likely find his remains at some point, no doubt half eaten.

The tank is kept in my home office, so I am rarely in there at night. However, last night I came down to get something and decided to drop in some pellets/wafers. As I sat looking at the tank I noticed something small, about 1/2" long at the top, at first thinking it was a snail I ignored it. Then looked again..... sure enough, it's a little baby BN. So, somewhere in the tank the male had been guarding eggs. I then caught a glimpse of the male, before he zoomed back into a hole in the driftwood, so I suspect that inside that hole are possibly more fry. No idea how many, no real idea what I am going to do with them as I imagine capturing the babies is going to be nigh on impossible.

At the moment I have only seen the 1 baby, there may be others in the tank, but is is a community tank so it is also possible the other fish ate any other fry. Will have to keep a close eye on things and if I end up with a bunch of albino BN's will just give them away.

abcdefghi

Members
Spotted a total of 3 fry the other day, not seen them since though. The male is still very guarding of a spot on the driftwood that I cannot see though, so I suspect that he is keeping them in there as much as possible. Need to find my veggie clips!!