• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Stock tanks/other tanks outside

captmicha

Members
So just a few more questions on this subject. I didn't see the answers and some answers I forgot from when I was looking this up from when I asked a couple of months ago. (Need to rewatch those videos, btw.)

-What would be the smallest amount of water or depth of water that you would recommend in our climate (in the shade or even sun)?

I'm not trying to get away with the smallest possible. I usually understock and go larger in gallons than most need in my tanks, but want to be very safe with any tanks outside since so much evaporation and heat can build up during our summers.

-Do you only use stock tanks or would large kiddypools be another option?

I can't find a whole lot of cheap/used stock tanks this year. So thought I'd ask just in case if anyone knows of a place or knows of other tank options.

-Are galvanized steel and aluminum stock tanks ok as well?

-What's the rule of thumb for plant amount for clean enough water quality with no other filtration? Or do you never not do without actual filters?

-Do you tend to buffer the water for the species you keep that don't live in the parameters of rain water? I buffer my inside tanks, so am wondering if I should continue the practice outside and topping off with the rainwater will probably not alter things too much, I'm thinking?

Thanks. Would be nice to get fish out of my basement for remodeling their room and a summer vacay for them and to help out with mosquitos.

chriscoli

Administrator
So just a few more questions on this subject. I didn't see the answers and some answers I forgot from when I was looking this up from when I asked a couple of months ago. (Need to rewatch those videos, btw.)

-What would be the smallest amount of water or depth of water that you would recommend in our climate (in the shade or even sun)?

It really depends on a lot of factors. I've done fish in small (maybe 20 gallons?) tubs on the ground that were partially shaded by some other plants during the day and they did fine. Up on my deck in full sun....they get REALLY hot. Black tubs will heat up faster than light colored/reflective tubs but on the other hand, they warm up better during the day in the spring.

-Do you only use stock tanks or would large kiddypools be another option?

I've been considering the kiddypool idea. I've seen a lot of other people doing them too.

-What's the rule of thumb for plant amount for clean enough water quality with no other filtration? Or do you never not do without actual filters?

I like water circulation but don't technically use filtration (in the aquarium sense of the word). I have potted plants with their roots hanging in the water as well as lots of floating plants. During the summer when everythings growing like crazy (like now) I actually have to fertilize the plants pretty often because they are so good at pulling everything out of the water. They also run out of micronutrients so keep an eye out for plants starting to look yellow....they may need a shot of Flourish or other plant fertilizer with iron, manganese, etc.

-Do you tend to buffer the water for the species you keep that don't live in the parameters of rain water? I buffer my inside tanks, so am wondering if I should continue the practice outside and topping off with the rainwater will probably not alter things too much, I'm thinking?

I don't really mess with the water, but I do keep a few handfuls of crushed coral in the bottom of the tub in case the pH does swing to far. I don't really know if it helps or not. I do waterchanges much less frequently on my outside tubs and everything seems to do ok.

captmicha

Members
Mosquitos have been terrible in my tadpole kiddypool so I'm pretty excited to be able to put mosquito fish in there then. I was worried it might not be big enough (it's the large size) or enough plants (I threw like all my plants into it).

I have it under since trees and it's getting fertilized decently for now. Can't wait for summer weather!

Thanks for the answers. I feel safer about trying fish outside now.

mchambers

Former CCA member
You don't need mosquito fish to eat mosquito larvae. Most fish will eat the larvae. If you have mosquito fish, that's great, but goodeids, tetras, guppies, and cichlids will chow down on larvae, too.

The only issue I see with a kiddie pool is raccoons.

captmicha

Members
You don't need mosquito fish to eat mosquito larvae. Most fish will eat the larvae. If you have mosquito fish, that's great, but goodeids, tetras, guppies, and cichlids will chow down on larvae, too.

The only issue I see with a kiddie pool is raccoons.

Maybe I'll put my Guanacara fry in there. I'm just not awake to feed them multiple times a day and they're not very big after 6 months.

Yeah, I definitely need lids. It's semi-wilderness here.