• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Some interesting BN pleco breeding behavior

I had a very prolific LF BN albino male who spent most of his time in his cave fanning babies. I introduced a black BN male from another tank who, unfortunately, ousted said albino from his long-time cave. A few days later I removed the albino and his long-time mate from the tank. Meanwhile, the new black male (there is also an adult BN black female in the tank) spent all his time in the cave. Really, it must be an awesome cave! and then, a bit later, I suddenly had BN babies. Now here's the interesting part -- some are albino and some are black, but the albinos are slightly bigger, as if they are slightly older. I think the black male ended up raising the eggs that were in the cave when he ousted the "real dad" and raised them with his own laid a short time later.

If is possible, I guess, that the black male could have mated with the albino female in the day or two before I removed her, but I don't think so. In any event, I have babies again!

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
He probably raised eggs or very young fry from the other father. I have yet to see two brown BN produce albinos, but I suppose if they were both children of albinos and were carriers for the trait, it is possible. I would guess he just hatched/raised the other male's eggs/fry.

chriscoli

Administrator
I get mixed brown and albino batches frequently because several of mine are heterozygotes for the albino trait. But as you mention....there's also a size difference. I've seen baby Bn's hang out in the cave well past when they've absorbed their yolk. Sometimes I wonder if an overprotective dad contributes to that or if they're just happy hanging out until they're ready to leave. If there's enough biofilm in the cave to sustain them, they might be ok there for a little while. Sounds like two separate batches to me.