• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Some Advice please

Tangcollector

Staff member
So my Amatitlania Nanolutea have spawned. Eggs laid last night. They are in a 72 tank with other nanalutea and tetras. This is the first spawn. If I pull the fry will it deter the parents from spawning again soon? Or do I just leave them in there for them to exercise their parenting skills. and see how long they can protect them? Moving the parent would be almost impossible. There are seven or eight of them in there along with plants and rocks and other stuff..
Any adviseIMG_1295.JPGIMG_1297.JPGIMG_1297.JPGIMG_1298.JPGIMG_1298.JPGIMG_1299.JPG

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
Most fish will spawn quicker again if you remove the eggs or fry. They use up a lot of energy in tending the fry and so would not spawn as quickly if you let them raise whatever fry they can. If you want them to be successful in raising some of them provide some cover like a pile of rocks for the fry to hide in. If you want to raise a few fry outside then take a dozen or so and raise them separately.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Congrats! Nice fish. I’d give them a chance to see if they raise any fry, will give you an idea of how to proceed next time depending on the results. If your goal is to raise fry though your best bet is probably to move the eggs or siphon out the wigglers.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Depending on the type of tetras, and how much you like the finnage of the other tankmates, you may want to pull the eggs.