• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Soft pellets?

captmicha

Members
A couple of years ago, Ken's used to carry a line of soft pellets and stuff. They don't have them anymore. Does anyone remember what brand it was?

rsanz

monster tank newbie
Thanks! My cichlids like soft, and who am I to deny them?
This is not necessarily what you're asking for, but I soak my pellets in a little bit of water (a few drops maybe?) and let them soak for 5-10 minutes before I feed my tanks. This softens them right up.

IME I've found that when I throw dry pellets in right from the container, the smaller fish (geos, juvenile fish) eat much more slowly. They'll take in a pellet and move it around in their mouths for a while before taking in another pellet. In my SA community tank, I have very greedy eaters (oscar and 3 severum) who will eat all of the pellets while the Geos are still working on their first one. With softened pellets, the geos take in pellets more quickly and are able to get their fill.