• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Small Earth Eaters

Looking for suggestions and experiences on setting up a group of earth eaters in a 4x2x2 - (120 gallon).

I suppose the preferred species is Geophagus sp. "Tapajos Orange Head"

The real purpose of the post is the foot print of the 4' tank and what "might" work best in terms of earth eaters - so I'm looking for suggestions on species and experiences with same.

If you'd also like to share tank mate suggestions that's great, but truthfully I'd be fine with just the earth eaters..

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I think the redhead/orangehead Tapajos are a good choice for a 4'x2' footprint. I'd go with a larger group (6-8) and let them do their thing. I kept mine (years ago) in a 75, and they were fine.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Red Humps (steindachneri) are great in a tank that size.

I also have to make the requisite plug for Uruguayan Gymnogeophagus. Colorful and will do great in a tank that size. Add a school of Buenos Aires, serpae or other cold-hardy tetras (or some goodeids) and you're in business.

Matt

Hawkman2000

Members
I would definitely use white PFS for this one, and mounted driftwood for some cover.

Of course this is my first instinct for pretty much any f/w tank.

If your not in a hurry and going to be at CatCon next month, I am bringing some Geophagus mirabilis with me for my display in the Aqueon booth and then I was going to donate them to the auction. They would be fine in a tank that size. Mine bred in a 40 breeder. But they are in a 125 now with a bunch of others. I could bring a few extra for you as well.

Andy

There are many Geophagus species out there that can fit your tank size, but fitting your water quality may be challenging. Many Amazonian earth eaters require extremely soft water to thrive or else they are vulnerable poor health and HITH disease. I currently have G. Iporangensis from Uruguay which is a medium size cousin of Brasiliensis that do well in hard water. There are more hard water earth eaters out there, but they are not commonly available in the hobby.

rsanz

monster tank newbie
Thanks for the replies - any suggestions on where I might purchase a group of 8 Red/Orange Tapajos?
Rapps usually has some in stock (tangledupincichlids.com).

I got mine from Imperial Tropicals. These developed sunken belly from internal parasites which I am still trying to battled. They have come a long way. Perhaps treating them as soon as you receive them may help?

And finally, aquabid usually has a few lots of tappajos available.

QuarterMiler

Members
Thanks for the replies - any suggestions on where I might purchase a group of 8 Red/Orange Tapajos?

I have juveniles at about 1-1/2" if you are looking to grow out a group. This is a pic of one of my adult males.

I have 1-1/2" Tapajos juveniles if you're interested in growing out a group. I'm sure you're not local to me for pickup, but DSC_0044.JPG I can ship them as well. PM me if you're interested. Picture is one of my adult males.

Mrrobxc

CCA Members
You might want to consider biotodoma cupido or wavrini. They would do great in that tank. Also in addition to RHT, satanoperca acuticeps stays a bit smaller than your typical stanoperca. Falls has them now and they don't come around too often.

Lastly, you have geophagus taeniopareius which stay smaller along with geophagus pindare.

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
I have an adult male and 5 or 6 female Gymnogeophagus balzanii available for $30. And I have young from them. BALZANII.jpg

neut

Members
Geophagus parnaibae and taeniopareius are also smaller species. Taeniopareius are pretty sharp imo. Neither are as common as the red (orange) heads, but I do see them for sale now and then.