• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Shipping Fish

Artee

Members
Can any of the experienced shipper out there help me figure on how to ship..

Do you need oxygen to bag the fish ?

do you need heat packs if shipping by air(next day) would distance be a factor e.g to east coast or west coast.

I have receive fish in the past that are not even aerated, the bags were just bagged with 1/3 water when shipped airport to airport, does this work for overnight or 2 day.

Do you recommend bag buddies ?

thanks.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I have only shipped a few times.

If using a styro you do not want to use a heat pack this time of the year. I just shipped some fish last month to LA with no problem but I did over night. The airplane is not cold when shipping. You have more of a chance of them overheating this time of the year from sitting on a dock somewhere or in the delivery truck for hours.

I would use O2 myself. Everyone I know uses O2 when doing any bagging that will be over 6 hours or so. I have bagged my own fish at a show and put on airplane as luggage without O2 but that was from Chicago to here. They were in the bags for about 8 or 9 hours. No problem. I just don't trust 2 days.

Oh, and I use bag buddies myself.

longstocking

Members
Very easy to ship fish.

You do not need "pure" o2 but it does help. ONLY ship next day if you haven't shipped before. Sometimes I have customers that ask for priorty mail. Honestly, in this heat I would not try it. I have done this in the past and haven't experienced losses but I also know what fish ship well and what fish don't. You also do not need heat packs this time of year.

If you choose not to use pure air use bag buddies. Make sure your water is PERFECT before shipping and purge the fish for at least a day. Don't ship if the temps are over 90 degrees.... you are asking for doa's if you do.

I use USPS or UPS these days. They will refund my shipping money and are the cheapest. For a box it usually runs about 30 to 50 dollars.

Artee

Members
Thanks Pat, I have check with robert's oxygen and to get the smallest container is about $ 175 non refundable, too rich for me, is there any place I can get them cheaper like loaning the container instead of buying, I heard home depot sells small containers.

I have only shipped a few times.

If using a styro you do not want to use a heat pack this time of the year. I just shipped some fish last month to LA with no problem but I did over night. The airplane is not cold when shipping. You have more of a chance of them overheating this time of the year from sitting on a dock somewhere or in the delivery truck for hours.

I would use O2 myself. Everyone I know uses O2 when doing any bagging that will be over 6 hours or so. I have bagged my own fish at a show and put on airplane as luggage without O2 but that was from Chicago to here. They were in the bags for about 8 or 9 hours. No problem. I just don't trust 2 days.

Oh, and I use bag buddies myself.[/b]

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I got mine at Roberts a couple of years ago. It is small but the most expensive part was the regulator. Cant remember how much.
Like Sarah said, does not have to be pure O2 but would be a lot better than air. I have always done overnight so far. But that is only 3 times. I have used Fed Ex but yes it is expensive. Big time expensive to ship Fed Ex. I think my box to CA last month was in the $80.00 range. But it was for someone I know, not a sale.
Mike should be able to give us more insite into this.
Same with Ron.

maddog10

Members
I use oxygen and bag buddies (cheap insurance). Have used UPS and FedEx. Shipped Overnight and 2nd Day. Can ship Ground if close by, ask shipper when it would be delivered. Right now it is too hot to ship, gets in the 100's in the back of the delivery trucks. I have received fish from people using USPS with no problems. You are going to have to shop around for the best deal, alot depends on where you are shipping to.

Where do you live, maybe you are close to someone with oxygen, I am in Calvert County.

Charlutz

Members
Robert, you should check into the breathable bags. I've seen a lot of very positive reviews in my internet travels. If you want to use O2, do you have a good relationship with a local fish store? I went to see Ken at Totally Fish to buy some bags when I shipped a group of adult frontosa years ago. Ken gave me bags, boxes and O2 for free and packed the fish himself. I think it helped that I went in early on a Saturday morning before the store was crowded and that I was a fairly regular customer.

Artee

Members
had my first shipments(3 boxes out mind you) to different buyers arrived safe and sound, even got some praises about how professionally it's done, Now I am confident I can do it again, didn't even use 02 or bag buddies, just good water, air, and a dash of amquel.

thanks to all who've give some helpful hints.

Artee

Members
I got a call from one of the buyer and is now placing another order for fronts and featherfins.

I was worried about the heat, but apparently UPS did a very good job with keeping their word with the delivery as promised by 10:30 am. Thanks Sarah, took your advice with going UPS.

longstocking

Members
I got a call from one of the buyer and is now placing another order for fronts and featherfins.

I was worried about the heat, but apparently UPS did a very good job with keeping their word with the delivery as promised by 10:30 am. Thanks Sarah, took your advice with going UPS.[/b]

Very cool ! Yeah... most of the shipping companies deliver on time or before. Or they have to refund your shipping.

I had 3 shipments that were late over the past year.... all the fish made it but I didn't pay for 2 day delivery nor did I like the fact that my customers had to wait 2 days. No problems getting refunds :) They don't like refunding 50 dollars each time.... so most of the time shipments make it unless the package gets lost.