• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Seachem Pristine?

chriscoli

Administrator
huh. I've never used it, but I'm always a little skeptical of bacteria in a bottle. That being said, some of them DO work. Dr Tims has a similar product, I think, that's highly regarded.

Always keep in mind that the waste has to go somewhere...there's no product that makes it magically disappear. In this case, the bacteria (if they do their job) should convert tank solid waste to bacterial growth, CO2, and probably some dissolved organics. Make sure you're oxygenating your tank sufficiently and keeping an eye on your filter so it doesn't clog sooner than expected with the addition of the biopolymers.

bossanova

Members
huh. I've never used it, but I'm always a little skeptical of bacteria in a bottle. That being said, some of them DO work. Dr Tims has a similar product, I think, that's highly regarded.

Always keep in mind that the waste has to go somewhere...there's no product that makes it magically disappear. In this case, the bacteria (if they do their job) should convert tank solid waste to bacterial growth, CO2, and probably some dissolved organics. Make sure you're oxygenating your tank sufficiently and keeping an eye on your filter so it doesn't clog sooner than expected with the addition of the biopolymers.
Yup, I share your skepticism. My intention is to minimize waste buildup behind huge rock piles, in combination with ample filtration, movement, oxygenation and of course WCs. Will try it and report back.

JLW

CCA Members
Oy. It is a supposed bacterial product, using a "proprietary blend" of bacteria, which can somehow work in freshwater, marine, low oxygen, high oxygen, really -- anywhere! I'm more than a little skeptical. It has a shelf life of 4-years?

The bacteria that work in our filters are actually somewhat delicate; they're hard to culture, and they're hard to keep alive outside of the tank. I think this is yet another bottle of snake-oil.

Seriously, if you need bacteria to get a tank cycled, I'll trade you a new sponge filter for an old one. Take it to your tank, squeeze all the gunky goodness into your tank, and instantly cycled.

chriscoli

Administrator
To be fair, Josh, there is a difference between the bacteria in a bottle sold to cycle your tank vs the stuff sold to reduce waste. I think there's more to support a product that supposedly gets rid of waste....septic companies have been selling similar products to homeowners for a long time. That being said....is it the best thing you can do for your tank? Depends on a lot of factors.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
To be fair, Josh, there is a difference between the bacteria in a bottle sold to cycle your tank vs the stuff sold to reduce waste. I think there's more to support a product that supposedly gets rid of waste....septic companies have been selling similar products to homeowners for a long time. That being said....is it the best thing you can do for your tank? Depends on a lot of factors.

I agree with both of you. I wouldn't ever use "cycle in a bottle", but if a product could help break down solid waste into something I can remove with water changes, I'd be interested. Those of us with larger display tanks with rock walls and hard to move structures might find it useful.

bossanova

Members
I agree with both of you. I wouldn't ever use "cycle in a bottle", but if a product could help break down solid waste into something I can remove with water changes, I'd be interested. Those of us with larger display tanks with rock walls and hard to move structures might find it useful.
Yup, I'm not planning on moving a certain rock wall for a while... so if this stuff can help "melt" some of the gunk away, so that I can blow a powerhead back there and remove it with the filter and/or WC, I'm all for it.

lkelly

Members
I'm eyeing up my septic tank (well not literally mchambers mchambers since it's underground) and thinking of what a group of bacteria might fetch on the open market.

No delivery - pick up only!

jonclark96

Past CCA President
In all seriousness, there is a group of folks over on MFK that have used the septic tank bacterial additives in their tanks with good success. The thread is a long read, but maybe worthwhile.

bossanova

Members
Not for nothing but since adding that stuff my tank has never been clearer. I don't pretend to understand the process, but I can't argue with the results.

londonloco

Members
I rarely post, but I'm going to chime in here. I also don't add anything to my tanks, wc's 2-3x a month is about all i do. However, a few months ago a SW friend of mine whose opinion I value greatly told me about a new product out, Vibrant, to reduce the algae in my reef tank (and to check out the 137 page thread on R2R). I recently started using Vibrant on both my FW and reef tank. The first week I had 90% less diatoms on glass walls, the small (but noticeable) spots of GSA and BBA disappeared w/in a few weeks, bubble algae is continuing to fade in my reef, and ALL tanks have never had clearer water. I swear by this stuff now, and imagine it will be a staple in my tanks. It's a bit pricey, and I bought the bigger bottles, but you only use 1mL per 10 gallons, once you get the tank back to pristine condition, you only add it once every two weeks, it lasts a long time. Here is the link: https://www.uwcmn.com/vibrant-liquid-aquarium-cleaner.