• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Sand Substrate

S

suehypno

I'm about to set up a small Tanganyikan tank for shellies and maybe some goby cichlids. I'd like to use sand so that I can see them in a more natural habitat than the crushed coral I have in my main Tang tank. However, I tried black sand in one of my first tanks a long time ago and gave up in frustration because I found it impossible to clean. I'm afraid to try it again and run into the same problem.

Does anybody here use sand? How do you keep it clean without syphoning up sand? Is there a trick to it? Or does it make a difference at all and I should just stick to crushed coral? (They currently don't seem to have any trouble digging around--but they can't "sift" it, either.)

Thanks,
Sue

Cristy

Members
I've had a silica sand substrate in my planted tank for years and never had a problem with syphoning out the sand. You just have to adjust the flow so that it's not powerful enough to take the sand. Or you can pinch off the syphon hose whenever the sand is sucked in too far and let it fall back. Also remember that finer sand particles are lighter and more easily sucked in, so course sand is better in that respect.

S

suehypno

Okay, then my next question is where can I buy the more coarse sand?

knuckles

Members
I've had good luck with both Pool Filter Sand and 3M ColorQuartz Crystals in my shellie tanks. I found the pool filter sand at a local "pool and spa" store and found the ColorQuartz in Baltimore. For more info on the ColorQuartz, here's 3M's page about it: http://cms.3m.com/cms/US/en/2-125/uzRkES/view.jhtml

As for cleaning, keeping the syphon about 1/2 inch above the sand and swirling it around a little seems to pick up the junk without sucking up the sand.

S

suehypno

A little update: I stopped by SuperPets the other night and happened to find a bagged sand marketed specifically for Rift Lake cichlids. It's one of those Eco-Complete wet-bagged types, and looks salt-and-pepperish, black and white. It's not too fine, either. I'm going to give it a try. Supposedly it's going to naturally buffer the water so that I never have to add stuff, but I'll keep an eye on it.

Daniel is using that wet bagged sand in many of his tanks, and is very pleased with it. Tropical Fish World in Gaithersburg is also carrying it now.

L

Larry-T

I've had shell-dwellers and Tanganyikan goby cichlids on sand substrates for months and they're doing quite well. I get my sand from Home Depot.