• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Salt and/or chemicals?

chriscoli

Administrator
Why use RO water? Peacock cichlids like hard water, so you'll probably do better starting with tap water and going from there.

tonybwill

CCA Members
Lol. I installed the RO system when I had my reef setup. Thought I'd use it. I'll use tap water on the next water change.

chriscoli

Administrator
Yeah, why take the salts out of the water just to put them back in (and more) for rift lake cichlids. In fact, I have the waste from my RO go into one of my rift lake cichlid tanks. They love it.

But if you want to put your RO to work, you should do some research on the soft water apistos and west african cichlids....I mix 50:50 RO and Tap water for them.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Yes, RO water is great for most West African and South American fish, but not needed for Lake Africans or Central American fish.

tonybwill

CCA Members
Awesome, this is why I joined the Capital Cichlid Association! Should I use trace elements or salt?

mchambers

Former CCA member
If you're using RO water for soft water fish, I'd first mix it with tap, maybe a 50/50 mix. You need some buffering capacity or you'll get a pH crash.