• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Safe way of killing mosquito larvae?

captmicha

Members
Our pool hasn't been treated this year and we have TONS of mosquito larvae.

Freezing won't necessarily kill them, so what would kill them safe enough to them feed my fish with them?

No way do I want live mosquitos in the house.

Robinhud

CCA Members
I have been going out to my pool with a large fish net and getting msquitoes for a number of weeks now and have not had any get away from my fish. they eat them like crazy so I wouldn't fear about it your fish will do a great job of dispatching them.

Robinhud

CCA Members
also if you do find you have mosquitoes all you have to do is get the room very dark and turn on aquarium light and they will be drawn to the light and water and then get eaten.

finzz

Members
When I had more outside tubs, there would be many more mosquito wrigglers than I could feed during the summer (Corydoras aren't real good live mosquito larva hunters), so I'd catch them out and put them in a zip-lock bag with just enough water to keep them from drying out and freeze them like a flat-pack. For one thing you have good conditioning food for all winter, and for another the thawed larvae sink and Corydoras feast on them.

dogofwar

CCA Members
That's a top tip!

When I had more outside tubs, there would be many more mosquito wrigglers than I could feed during the summer (Corydoras aren't real good live mosquito larva hunters), so I'd catch them out and put them in a zip-lock bag with just enough water to keep them from drying out and freeze them like a flat-pack. For one thing you have good conditioning food for all winter, and for another the thawed larvae sink and Corydoras feast on them.

captmicha

Members
Did you have any survive the freezing? I read that it won't always kill them.

Even if they do eat all of them, I have to say I'm still paranoid about them maturing in the house.

Mosquitoes LOVE me.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Bet your neighbors loved you!

finzz

Members
Bet your neighbors loved you!

I don't tell them what I raise in the tubs. :) (and honestly have never noticed any more adult mosquitoes than when I wasn't "pest farming".

I've never noticed any frozen mosquito larvae or pupae surviving, but I've never really watched that closely to see. I'm usually in such a hurry feeding the fish that I use hot water to thaw them out and I don't imagine that would be good for mosquito survival.

JLW

CCA Members
I can't imagine that if any survived the freezing process they would last long enough in most tanks.... :)

JLW

CCA Members
I get calls all the time from people in California, Florida, Texas, even Arlington (which exists in a separate plane of existence), people wanting me to come set-up an aquarium or maintain it for them.

You know what I tell them? For the right price, I'll go anywhere and do anything. Heck, right price, I'd even go in Matt's house (I went in his backyard once, that was scary enough).

So far, I've only had one person actually fly me somewhere to set up a tank. LOL. :)

Becca

Members
Just one warning - I'm not sure that mosquito dunks are shrimp safe. They may be, but my understanding is that they have a bacteria that impacts mosquitoes by preventing larvae from moulting successfully. Shrimp also moult.

Holly

CCA Members
I feed my Betta's live mosquito larva in the summer. They don't survive very long. just collect what you need.