• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Sae's And Japonica Shrimp

okimavich

Members
I'm looking for some. If you have any extra's, especially the SAE's (~2"), please let me know. My 20G is run amuck with hair and red algae. <_<

Jeez! What'd you do?!
Sure it red algae?
AC has both usually. Be careful when getting SAEs - make sure you
get the correct fish and not flyign foxes.

okimavich

Members
AC was out of the shrimp and it looks as though I got CAE's instead of SAE's. Oops. I haven't decided what I'm going to do with them. :huh:

My bed of hair grass has become a bed of hair algae and then a bed of reddish algae. I've stopped fertilizing the tank with flourish. Although I don't remember seeing it happen, a root tab may have become uncovered?

Who knows, at this point, I'm getting ready to unleash my horde of Tropheus at it. ;) Well. Maybe.

Mow it down with a pair of sissors. Leave only a few mm above the surface.
Whats your lighting period?
Are you using Excel? How much, how frequently?
Water changes? If you're not already - start doing 50% wekly water changes.
Don't feed the fish so much.

Come to AC Tuesday evening - I'll help you get what you need.

okimavich

Members
Lighting period is about 14 hours with a twin tube and a single tube from an old 10G tank.

I'm using 1mL of Excel daily as the bottle prescribes.

Water changes are 20% weekly. 50% seems like a lot, but I'll try that.

I'm actually not feeding that much. I throw in 4-6 sinking pellets for the cory's and hardly anything for the neon's. I think they're just getting fat by picking at the algae; not enough to make a dent but enough to look fat.

I'll try to be at AC on Tues around 6.

Thanks.

T

Thinkfaster

[/QUOTE]

put them in a tank with mean fish. I gave mine (when i realized what they were...after finding dead fish) to a friend who is keeping them in a tank with large SA cichlids and it's holding it's own. or you can leave them in the tank and remove any fish you like...then feed them once a week. if they have no food source they'll eat the algae like champs.

they could have bloat, that makes them look fat. :lol:

as for your algae...how old are your bulbs? if they are old then the plants aren't getting the right spectrum (or enough of it) and so they slow down. algae can use a lot of spectra. that was the only thing that wasn't covered. also using tweezers to pull off big clumps of the algae. i did all of these in a period of a month and i have minimal algae now. :D or do i?