• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Restocking the 75

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
Hey All!

My Tanganyikan adventure is coming to an end. The water here just doesn't seem conducive to keeping them. What I want is suggestions for what to try next.

I have:

A semi-planted 75 gallon tank with a black sand/black gravel mix

pH - 7.4-7.6

Tankmates:

Bristlenose plecos (can move if needed)

Surrounding environment:

Sliding glass door close, so it gets some natural light (no algae issues to speak of, no/little direct sun)

Walkway from garage (moderate foot traffic, no spooky fish, please)

What I'm looking for (subject to change, of course):

Either:

1) A larger, hardy cichlid that will handle a few swings here and there with water quality and will mouth breed (will keep tank species specific if needed). Also willing to have two species if they will not interbreed or murder each other.

Or

2) A peaceful hardy dwarf cichlid that I can keep with cories and other fish without risk of cory damage. If taking this option, also include suggested tank mates. I have some green laser cories I can move from my 40 gallon.

Preferences/Needs:

Hardy, hardy, and did I mention Hardy!

Color. Must have color. No all silver (silver or bland females acceptable), no solid blue, and no solid black fish (applies to males).

Personality. I'm giving up my Shellies, so I want something that will have some spunk. Since the tank will be empty, they can be aggressive and I can sell off the non-Dom males or other fish.

Sellable. Maybe you have a cichlid or other fish that the club hasn't had and you want to see make a comeback. Maybe it's something that you want to buy but don't want to pay shipping. Maybe you like seeing your fellow club member happy and are willing to make suggestions...
I will likely be moving in two years, so these may be fish you can get your hands on when I leave. Keep that in mind as well...

I love Victorian cichlids (colors are amazing) and have kept Ruby Green Haps with success. I've also kept Metraclima Luwino Reef Zebra Chilumba, Yellow Labs, Red Jewels, and some other off brand Africans with good success, but that was in Pittsburgh on hard well water which they loved. Not sure if they would handle Bowie water very well.

Currently I have bristlenose plecos, corydoras duplicareus, and green laser cories that are doing well. My big Jack Dempseys and my Tiger barbs did well in this water too.

If your still with me, congrats. Reward yourself and me by posting some suggestions. I have to sell my remaining Tangs before I can buy, so I have some time. Thanks in advance.

Cory

zendog

Hi,

Maybe try some of the Victorians again. They can handle a pretty good range of water from my limited experience. Since the green lasers are tank raised, they might be okay with them. Not the same biotope of course, but interesting to try.

I actually have a group of six red tailed shellers I'm considering moving on to convert their 40B tank to softwater if you are interested in trading for the shellies. And Cichlids are special always has a great selection.

Leffler817

CCA Members
Vics will cross breed. They're all haps of some sort. Many Victorian species have been reclassified so you could keep different groups of Vics together, however, the ones you listed are too close for comfort, IMO.

Also, All of the fish you listed above have GRAY FEMALES baby!!! There is a piebald strain of Chromogynos going around that looks sweet, even the less-gray females.

What about some nice yellow labs? A group of them with a group of Vics and maybe something else.....Paracyprichromis Nigripinnis or keep your shellies with those two groups.

Then you'd have a Malawi, Vic and Tang in one happy hardy setup. It be like a Russian breakfast or your trip to the buffet table......... Oneofeach!! :p

FishEggs

They are a very hardy fish. I know since I haven't managed to kill one. You were looking for a hardy fish weren't you? :)

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
They are a very hardy fish. I know since I haven't managed to kill one. You were looking for a hardy fish weren't you? :)

Knowing the history of her female rainbow cichlid, I'll pass this time. Thanks. Although I appreciate the thought.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
Bump. Have decided to move the shellies to a 10 gallon in an attempt to quarantine them for sale. All deaths have stopped, which makes me think that the larger Calvus were stressing them out and targeting them. I plan on putting some Vics in with the Calvus. Mouth brooders should be better since Calvus are fry eaters. I like Christmas Fulu and Thickskin sp 44. Anyone have any other suggestions for Vics that would look nice with Calvus?

bossanova

Members
Mbuna, all the way! You could do at least 25 in a 75g tank and they're awesome!

Lab perlmutt, met. Msobo and labeotropheus trewavasae!

stany

CCA Members
I have a Ptyochromis SP. Salmon (Hippo Point Salmon) starting to color and Xystichromis SP ( Kyoga Flameback) in an all male Malawi tank.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
I like Kyogas, but I'm not sold on the salmon. I'm leaning hard towards Blue Bars or Christmas Fulu or Thickskin 44's.

stany

CCA Members
I was looking at Blue Bars and the Christmas Fulu. I was sold on a Blue Sapphire, Mbenji and Neon Blue Dorsal so another blue was out. I took the Salmon because the guy I bought from didn't have Christmas Fulu's. I had a real hard time,months of research, selecting 14 different males that had a chance of getting along and different colors and/or markings. Knock on wood ,they are growing and coloring up more every day it seems.