• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Resealing Tank at Top Seam?

Howie

Members
Last week I noticed that my 36 mbuna bow front had a slow dripping on the outside glass---water was running down outside glass in front very slowly. I suspect that there is a slight leak originating where the glass and the black tank frame meet on the inside top. I removed about 2.5 gallons of water so the water line is below the leak and it seems to temporarily solve the dripping issue. Should I attempt to reseal the seam where the leak is with clear silicone without draining the entire tank and removing fish? Is it safe for the fish? I figured that the silicone can dry for 24 hours and the water line is below it, so fish won't come into contact with it. Please advise.

chriscoli

Administrator
I've seen people do this sort of repair successfully, but it's risky. New silicone won't adhere to old silicone. If it were me I would drain the tank and reseal the whole thig.

Howie

Members
I've seen people do this sort of repair successfully, but it's risky. New silicone won't adhere to old silicone. If it were me I would drain the tank and reseal the whole thig.
What if I removed old silicone on top seam and cleaned it with white vinegar and then put new silicone?

The alternative is only filling tank to just below tank frame and water line is below leak point and live with it. LOL. The tank was bought on CL a few years ago so I can eventually replace.

JLW

CCA Members
I've made my opinion pretty loud and well known on resealing tanks. I think you're asking for a lot of trouble. You can try different patch methods, and they can kinda work, but the only sure-fire way to do it is to reseal it. You cannot reseal one edge, as you'll have a point where "old" and "new" meet. You've got to take the tank entirely apart and reseal it. This means...
1. Drain the tank, empty it, house fish somewhere else.
2. Remove the frame. Probably break one piece, at least (they simply don't come off well).
3. Cut all the old sealant away, pop tank apart, hope you don't break any of it.
4. Reglue it, put it back together, and wait 48 hours.
5. Leak test it. Repeat as needed.
6. Put it back on, and deal with the fact that all of your seams now look like you did it yourself.
7. Wait 3-4 weeks for a new frame to arrive to finally finish this job.
8. Know that every bit of silicone on that tank is a home job and that any day ... any day... the whole thing might just burst.

Its a lot of work to reseal a tank. It never comes out looking like a new tank. And, it's never, ever gonna look good. There are tanks I would reseal. A 110 Oceanic, sure! A Metaframe? Absolutely. A basic AGA that I can replace for $1 a gallon? No way. A really big tank? Not unless its special in some way.

Your 36-bow is going to be a little difficult to replace, and a little expensive, but ... bow fronts are a pain in the butt to reseal.

My advice, bin it and get a 45. :)

Howie

Members
I've made my opinion pretty loud and well known on resealing tanks. I think you're asking for a lot of trouble. You can try different patch methods, and they can kinda work, but the only sure-fire way to do it is to reseal it. You cannot reseal one edge, as you'll have a point where "old" and "new" meet. You've got to take the tank entirely apart and reseal it. This means...

Thanks for the advice, Josh. I'll just keep it filled below the leak point for now and keep an eye out for a new bow front replacement.
1. Drain the tank, empty it, house fish somewhere else.
2. Remove the frame. Probably break one piece, at least (they simply don't come off well).
3. Cut all the old sealant away, pop tank apart, hope you don't break any of it.
4. Reglue it, put it back together, and wait 48 hours.
5. Leak test it. Repeat as needed.
6. Put it back on, and deal with the fact that all of your seams now look like you did it yourself.
7. Wait 3-4 weeks for a new frame to arrive to finally finish this job.
8. Know that every bit of silicone on that tank is a home job and that any day ... any day... the whole thing might just burst.

Its a lot of work to reseal a tank. It never comes out looking like a new tank. And, it's never, ever gonna look good. There are tanks I would reseal. A 110 Oceanic, sure! A Metaframe? Absolutely. A basic AGA that I can replace for $1 a gallon? No way. A really big tank? Not unless its special in some way.

Your 36-bow is going to be a little difficult to replace, and a little expensive, but ... bow fronts are a pain in the butt to reseal.

My advice, bin it and get a 45. :)