• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Remember the old National Aquarium in the basement of Commerce?

littlen

CCA Members
That was a nice write up. The place definitely had character and history. There were a lot of negative reviews by folks who had no appreciation for what is was and what it had been through. (And were likely spoiled by newer facilities like NAiB). I have some great video walk-throughs of the entire facility, including back-of-house, just before closing to the public. Then the same series of videos about 4 months later after we emptied out the place and left for the last time. I could figure out how to post them on YouTube if anyone is interested in a stroll down memory lane or wants to ‘visit’ for the first time. Very special time and place in my life.

FishEggs

That was a nice write up. The place definitely had character and history. There were a lot of negative reviews by folks who had no appreciation for what is was and what it had been through. (And were likely spoiled by newer facilities like NAiB). I have some great video walk-throughs of the entire facility, including back-of-house, just before closing to the public. Then the same series of videos about 4 months later after we emptied out the place and left for the last time. I could figure out how to post them on YouTube if anyone is interested in a stroll down memory lane or wants to ‘visit’ for the first time. Very special time and place in my life.
I'd be interested in watching the video. Unfortunately I didn't know about them until the write up about it closing so I never got the chance to go.

littlen

CCA Members
I'll update this thread once I have the videos loaded....although you may find that many water changes have come and gone while you wait.

b considine

a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude
When I first worked in DC, I'd swing by now and again. It was a hidden gem, despite its somewhat run-down look.

Blaise

littlen

CCA Members
Here are a few pictures of a renovation my boss and I did on "Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary". It was originally two, separate, 1,000 gallon exhibits. We took the 8" concrete wall down that divided the two. (The 'rockwork' I'm working on, and the white PVC tube are covering the remains of the old wall.) The concrete was covered in epoxy paint. The green FRP was covered with PolyGem 307--a 2 part epoxy that could be worked like clay. The exhibit design was simulating the hull of a freighter that sunk [due to a boiler explosion].
1.jpg 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg