1. Thank You for helping make the BIG Fish Deal such a hit.....
    Dismiss Notice
  2. You liked BFD6 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
    Dismiss Notice

Question about heater settings

Discussion in 'Equipment & DIY Ideas' started by David Kent, Mar 8, 2018.

1. David Kent

David Kent CCA Members

David
    Last Activity:
    Jul 8, 2018
    Hello, I just bought an Inkbird ITC-308 to power 2 Ehiem 150w heaters for my 125g and 40 gallon sump. Currently heaters are in sump and set for ~81 degrees and keep the tank right on 80 degrees. I am curious whether I need to keep the heaters set as is or increase the temp? Plus where do I place the sensor, in the sump or the overflow? I have never used a controller in the past. Are there any experiences anyone would like to share with this controller?

Equipment
    Aqua Medic 9.1 @ 2000 gl/hr
    1x Eheim 2215 and 1x Eheim 2217
    3x Mars Aqua LED's

I am guessing that the sump is fine for probe placement. The sump is turning over its volume almost once every minute, right? But the temp is somehow confusing me. 1 hand I raise the temp and heaters are on a shorter period of time, I think. However, if I increase heater temp setting and the controller fails. i have the potential to cook the tank. My conundrum is the controller protects if the heaters fail. Setting heaters at desired temp protect the fish if the controller fails. Am I over thinking this?

2. mchambers

mchambers Occasional Corydoras Breeder / Board of Directors
    Staff Member

Matt Chambers
    Last Activity:
    Today at 9:43 AM
    I think placement in the sump is fine. I'd keep the heaters set just above your desired temperature, in case the controller fails. Maybe set them to 82 or 83?