• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Question About Air

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Okay all you Brains out there.
Question.

When I originally put up my air system, I was using a blower and put 1 1/2" PVC up.

Now I am using a linear piston pump. The biggest that Jehmco has. LPH120
I love this pump but some of my deeper tanks do not get the flow I would like. I am at about 100 outlets on there. Its rated for 105- 130 so I am getting close. Mainly using Hydros and a dirtmagnets.

The question is am I getting my best pressure with the 1 1/2" or should I go to a 1".

maddog10

Members
Before I formulate a long drawn out scientific answer, is your supply line looped? Have you tried turning all of the valves back a bit? Are the filters in the deeper tanks clean? Are the airlines clear of obstructions (little pieces of PVC)?

With the low volume linear pump, with looped supply line, once the system fills and equalizes it should not matter what size the supply line is.

What about the heat factor?

I was reading that heat also effects the transfer and pressure of air. Could the upper tanks airlines be a tad warmer than the bottom ones (assuming the deeper tanks are nearer the floor)? Since hotter air rises in the room. Also, isn't that the normal situation? Deeper tanks require more air pressure to offset the heavier water pressure?

mscichlid

Founder
My Alita 40 instructions called for a 1" looped pvc layout. It isn't powerful enough to do deep tanks in the current configuration. However because of the smaller pvc diameter the pressure is equally powerful in the lower tanks.

FB

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
When I built the room, I did not loop the pipes. I am planning on doing that and was trying to decide if I should loop in my current 1 1/2 or change the whole thing.
I guess looping what I have would be less work.

longstocking

Members
Not sure if anything above will help you.

I know Julie had to add back pressure with an extra pump to give enough filtration to her deeper tanks.

Andrew

Members
We used 1.5" PVC to run all of the air in our store, to give you an idea. We also looped in two places to ensure even flow and have a bleed valve to release extra pressure when necessary.

The point is, if 1.5" pipe is sufficient to handle our 1000+ outlets and 1.5 horsepower blower, I would think that 1 inch would be sufficient as long as it was looped. The only question is whether the back pressure affects a blower differently than a linear pump. John up at Jehmco should be able to answer that for you, if not one of the experts here.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Thanks everyone.

I am getting air into the lower tanks but not as much as I would like. The blower I used has a low more power but this will do. I still love the quiet.

I am trying to decide whether to loop now or wait. I have been trying to decide about changing one side
of the fish room around and putting up some drilled tanks. It would cut the number of tanks but would make things
a lot easier to maintain. Just have to decide when that is going to get done. $$$$$$$$. Fixing my loop problem is an inexpensive and quick fix the way I have it now. But, do I want to fix that right now or do it all at once.
Problems, Problems. Decisions, Decisions. Whoa is me.

maddog10

Members
I would loop it now, costs very little to run a piece of pvc across the room. This would let you know if that fixes the problem. If it does you can make it look "pretty" when you redo the room. If it does not make the problem go away you know to keep looking for other possible causes.

BTW - I have some drilled tanks to sell. 20 High and 40 Breeders.

animicrazy

Members
Had a similar question w/ John at JEMCO; he advocates minimal restrictions for maximum performance - no turns etc.; not sure if that's y'all meant by "looping". Also, I wonder where it is written in stone that all sponge filters need to be on the bottom of a deep tank - a PVC pipe mounted on flat slate could be used as a stand to elevate the filter, or the filter could be suspended at the half way point - also would make the bottoms easier to vacuum; less obstructions.

Paul.