• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

PVC Air valve manifolds

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Thinking about redoing part or all of the air system in my fishroom. Current system is half inch PVC with manufactured fittings for threaded valves. The system has been taken apart enough that the PVC doesn't always fit tight, so I can either glue it, or replace sections, or buy manifolds.

I want to upgrade to 1" or larger PVC, so I'd either need to drill for new valve locations, or buy a pre-drilled manifold. Thought I'd check to see if anyone has any manifolds available, or even the bit for drilling if I decide to go new PVC. I have valves, but might need to replace some regardless.

I asked about ideal pipe size before, but I don't think there was a definitive answer. I think there are too many variables for an 'ideal' size, I'm debating between 1" and 1.5"; I'm running an AL-80 on about 40-45 feet of pipe with about 12 elbows, between 20 and 35 outlets, most tanks 20" or less in height, but a few deeper. Just hoping to only redo the system once, any advice appreciated.

chriscoli

Administrator
I have the bit for the larger-based brass valves you are welcome to borrow. The smaller nickel valves are self-tapping but i find that it's important to use a new/dedicated drill bit since an old one may have been worn down a hair and will make threading the valves in very hard on your fingers.

chriscoli

Administrator
and for what it's worth....I'd highly recommend gluing it. My main loop is glued and all is well with it. My smaller loop isn't and I came home to find that one corner had popped apart and the tanks on it were not getting air. I lost 3 tumblers of eggs. :( not worth the risk IMO.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Thanks for info, may take you up on borrowing the bit, I do have a fair amount of the brass valves that still work well.

Planning to decide before next meeting, something I've been putting off but need to get done before I have bigger problems, like a corner popping off. I figure if I have to take it apart to glue, mind as well upgrade at that time.

Now just have to decide on size and whether I want to go with prefab or build everything.

cabinetmkr39

DavidG / CCA Member
Hello Mike, I'm glad to hear your up dating, I use 1" pvc from Home depot or Lowes this diameter will give you plenty of volume of air and its easy to work with and drill. If you decide to make your own you do not have to prime the joints with the purple primer.
Just use the PVC cleaner and then the PVC clear glue makes for a much neater job.
Not knowing what valves you have I'm not sure of what size tape and drill bit you will need but I'm sure I can come up with that combo. Jehmco sells a self tapping valve all you need to do is drill the hole and thread the valves into holes very user friendly. This it what I have used in my last build. Always better to go with new valves there not expensive.JMO
Just let me know if you need a hand .

AV1E

Lever Air Valve
plated Solid Brass
thread x airline barb
(self tapping thread in PVC pipe
requires #14 drill bit)

$1.40

25 @
$1.30

JLW

CCA Members
You'll get increasing air flow as you increase the diameter of the pipe, but as you go up each step, you get a diminishing return. The cost of going up each size though gets astronomical, and I found that 1" pipe gave the best balance of cost and performance.

Leffler817

CCA Members
If you want to save a whopping $6, I have yellow pvc primer and glue left over from a project. You're welcome to use it. But it's yellow so you'll see where you got messy. It's a pretty yellow, kinda sunset-esque... ya know how yellow looks. :D Did I mention it's yellow? :rolleyes:

JLW

CCA Members
Why would you want to use the traditional PURPLE, when you can use YELLOW instead?

cabinetmkr39

DavidG / CCA Member
My Understanding is the colored primer is for the Plumbing inspector so he can see that the plumber is actually using primer. Since your not being inspected I suggest you use the clear primer and clear glue much neater job.

FishEggs

My Understanding is the colored primer is for the Plumbing inspector so he can see that the plumber is actually using primer. Since your not being inspected I suggest you use the clear primer and clear glue much neater job.
The color is actually there so when you drip it all over the place thinking the cap is on tight and none will leak out, it stains and ruins everything!!!:mad: Lol
cabinetmkr39 is correct to my knowledge.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
You'll get increasing air flow as you increase the diameter of the pipe, but as you go up each step, you get a diminishing return. The cost of going up each size though gets astronomical, and I found that 1" pipe gave the best balance of cost and performance.
Thanks for the info, sounds like 1" would be the way to go.

Now I just need to decide if I want to add some color to the lines, or stay classic. I don't think I have the time or patience to paint it, though I really did like Pat Kelly's blue system.

JLW

CCA Members
Its actually really not too bad painting it if you do it the easy way.

Lay the pipes out flat on cardboard (or just the grass if you haven't mowed in a bit). Spray paint them. :)

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Anyone interested in splitting a pre-fab 1" system? Someone is breaking down their system to sell, but its much larger than I'd need.

Would be around 35 valves available, possibly more if needed. No idea on length of PVC, but its being cut apart, so you'd have to rebuild it using new fittings, but much cheaper than starting new.

PM me if interested.