• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

PVAS - Give a Kid a Tank Deadline: 12/2

verbal

CCA Members
From Sherry:

Dear Friends of the Potomac Valley Aquarium Society,

The holiday season is nearly upon us and for PVAS, our attention turns to our yearly fund-raiser to give tanks to needy kids. Last year we donated brand new beginner tank kits to kids through Our Neighbor's Child ( http://www.ourneighborschild.org ), a local non-profit organization that reached over 2200 needy children in 2011. This year we have been called upon again to provide older kids with brand new aquarium kits.

Each tank kit ranges from $20 to $40 and we are asking members and friends like you to donate to this worthwhile cause. Won't you please make a difference and introduce the hobby to a kid this holiday season?

Your monetary donation is greatly appreciated and will ensure the continuation of our charitible programs. Please donate on-line at: http://www.pvas.com/donations.php

Thank you in advance for your support of this important program!

Sherry Mitchell
President

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Well

I seem to recall something about a local fish club having several hundred essentially new tanks with tops and filters gathering dust. Might be they could be moved to make a donation in lieu of cash, and better still, word is PVAS already in possession of a goodly number of said tanks since the Catfish Convention.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
This is a great program that PVAS has. (and Tracey & I sent them a cash donation last year towards it)

As to the tanks in storage...
I believe what PVAS usually gives away are the tank kits. Lights, filters etc.
The idea of the tanks in storage is for future fish shows. Same thing PVAS does with their tanks they have in storage.
If we give away the tanks now, or sell them, we get pennies on the dollar. A couple years down the road, we decide to hold a big Cichlid show, or the Discus convention, and we have to go out and buy tanks. I doubt if we will ever have the opportunity to get all of those tanks free again. We were the first ones that the manufacturer had ever done that with.
I know they did it again in Indy but don't know how long that will happen.

gardengirl

Members
PVAS donates brand new tank kits in boxes to the kids. In the past we have donated Marineland 3-gallon Eclipse Tanks, Marine 5-gallon tank kits, and Tetra 5 gallon Crescent tank kits. These are boxed up and small enough to transport to the center for collection. They are easy to move around and the packaging protects the tank from damage.

The charity we work with will not take anything used. Please visit Our Neighbor's Child website to see how they work during the holiday season. It really is a tremendous undertaking and the tanks that are donated are just a small part of a big picture.

Donated so far: $280. Thanks to all who have generously given to this important program!

gardengirl

Members
Given to Date: $371. That's about 9 tanks so far.

DEADLINE FOR GIVING IS 12/2

TO GIVE GO TO: http://www.pvas.com/donations.php

A-1-5.jpg

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
If you guys haven't helped yet, please do so. Even $5-$10 helps. This is a great cause with your donations going directly to the kids. There are few other charitable causes out there that can say that all of your money actually goes to the cause.

Come on folks, help bring in the next generation of club members!

Thanks for doing this, PVAS!

dogofwar

CCA Members
And what a GREAT cause!

Matt

If you guys haven't helped yet, please do so. Even $5-$10 helps. This is a great cause with your donations going directly to the kids. There are few other charitable causes out there that can say that all of your money actually goes to the cause.

Come on folks, help bring in the next generation of club members!

Thanks for doing this, PVAS!

marge618

CCA member
THis is a very worthwhile project. How do they determine which kids get the tanks? How many tanks did you donate last year?

verbal

CCA Members
The tanks are part of a larger program that gives gifts to kids. They are given to kids who are too old for typical toys. I think it was over $950 raised last year. It was over 30 tanks.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

gardengirl

Members
Given so Far: $614.80

Donations are being accepted until Midnight Tomorrow night, December 2, 2012

Thanks to all who have already donated!

gardengirl

Members
Just an update for all who were wondering about the "Give a Kid a Tank" holiday fund-raiser. In total we raised $1209.52. That bought us FORTY tanks comprised of:

20 -- 5 gallon Tetra tank starter kits
15 -- Marina Betta cubes
5 -- Glofish starter kits, 3 gallon tanks.

Each tank was stuffed with a Care Guide, a Jr. Certificate for a free membership to PVAS and a sample bottle of dechlorinator. The betta cubes also got a little silk plant in each one. I delivered the tanks today.

Here's a couple of photos:

ONC-2.jpg

The tanks on a table at Our Neighbor's Child. The table was too small to hold all the tanks in one row, so we doubled up. :)

ONC-1.jpg

A bunch of the kids gathered round for a group photo. They were busy unloading cars and putting together the gifts for each family served by ONC. It's a HUGE undertaking and the local high school kids come out in droves to help out. I'm so proud of our giving efforts this year!

Thanks to all who donated!!!!!