• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Private Sales At AquaMania 3

jonclark96

Past CCA President
CCA:

There have been several threads here in the Marketplace advertising items for sale that can be delivered to AquaMania. Every year, there are similar threads that cause concern with the club and club members.

We have tried to control costs on AquaMania so that we can provide a great event for a very low price. Our registration fee is low, table rental costs are low, and the return is pretty darn good, if you ask me. Although fees are low, the club still needs to make enough money to pay for the event and put some money in the bank to pay for speakers for the year and rental of our monthly meeting space. From that perspective, the event generates money in four major categories: Registrations, Table Rentals, Raffles/Auction, and Sponsorships. It is important that each of these categories is successful so that we do not end up losing money on the event.

To get to the point, we would prefer to have folks sell their items in the marketplace on Sunday from rental tables instead of setting up side deals. We still have tables available. While I believe the sellers that we have are awesome, we still need to fill the room. The club's rationale behind having a marketplace versus an auction is that you can sell your items at the price you want to sell them. If no one is willing to pay your asking price, then you take your item home instead of if selling for $1 in an auction. To that end, if you have stuff to sell, please get a table to sell from. Don't think you have enough to justify an entire table? I'm sure there is someone out there in a similar situation that would be happy to share the table with you.

Please feel free to post here or PM me if you have questions. I hope this doesn't come across the wrong way. It needs to be known that sales at AquaMania should take place from tables in the Marketplace instead of somewhere else.

Thanks for reading.

Jon

olzkool

Members
Jon,
For starters, it did not come off the wrong way to me. I get it.
I have yet to decide wether I can commit to a table yet. If I end up dramatically downsizing, which I can't quite decide on, then I will. For me it has nothing to do with the $25 for a table, it's more the commitment of setting up and working it when I would much rather be walking around leisurely looking at stuff for sale. I have booked a room, I am going to register for aquamania (held up because I can't decide on said table) and regardless of my decision to get a table, I am donating some nice fish to the club auction. So point being, some people doing private sales, may have no intention of depriving the club of desperately needed funds. Each individual's situation is different.

DBLN8

Members
I'm buying from a few of the vendors (pre orders) at Aquamania and I do have something for sale in the forum market place that I have offered to bring to Aquamania. I don't expect it to sell but if it does I will make a 15% donation to the club. A finders fee if you will for making it available for me to use.

1badmarine

Jon, there's a part you are missing. I can only speak for myself, but I had no intention of attending Aquamania. I had several people ask me to deliver items to them. It's much easier, on my part, to have everyone come to my house to get what they wanted. I'd save gas and time. I'm delivering items as a courtesy to club members. Not to avoid paying for a table. The logistics, cost and time of setting up a table, at an event I had no intention of attending, made no sense to me. If it would make everyone happy, I can just tell people to come to my house. Makes no difference to me. I know a large majority of club members live in Maryland and all the way to Annandale is a bit much. I think this thread should not be directed at the sellers, but the people who request items to be delivered.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Ray

Again, my post wasn't aimed at any individual. I understand that everyone has different circumstances. I'm just trying to raise awareness. Perhaps the club's position should have been clearly stated from the get go. This is an issue that has come up in the past that we should have put out to the membership sooner.

blkmjk

Members
Ray,

I don't think the reason for the thread is necessarily directed at you solely. Heck I just made a thread asking what was being sold and by who. Stating I was bringing umbee fry with me to be sold there.

I had a offer a long time ago from Scott of CCY to sell the few bags of umbee fry at his table and just confirmed that he would be ok if still sold my measly 4 bags of fry there. At 10 $ each it is barely enough to cover the table cost.

Jon,

I am not typically the type of person who would jump right in here and voice my opinion right away. But I will say even if the club is offended by people skirting the rules and selling in the parking lot instead of buying a table I hardly think it is appropriate to voice those opinions in the public forum. Especially if the offenders are dues paying members. A PM would seem to me a bit more appropriate to me.

I know that the intentions of the club yourself included are pure. And your primary goal is to help the club flourish but I don't believe we as a club should become confrontational publicly toward any offender over any topic. Isn't that why the pm function was invented? And we are also the Moderators of the site if your truly offended by the posting remove it and send the author a pm. I know I've had posts edited in the past.

I guess we should just cool our jets a bit and realize that every year this thing is a major hit. Mostly because of the dedicated and knowledgeable staff provided by the members of CCA.

Just my 2 cents. And I would love to talk to any member about this subject further via pm or text 240-372-0601

Drew

jonclark96

Past CCA President
My post was not meant to single out anyone, and it didn't. It was made rather to raise awareness of an issue. This was not aimed at any single person.

Shot you a text.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
I think this is good. Jon as someone not selling anything. I didn't see it as pointed.
I know this was an issue last AM.....
Look, while I agree and disagree with certain parts if all the posts. I don't think we should go around censoring every thing that's upsetting. I think we should have a way to air out grievances, make comments, voice concerns and sometime publicly etc...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Jmty

Members
we are use to take stuff to meetings for people , bfd will not make any difference ,we did what we always do deliver to mtg. as a favor to fellow fish people.avoiding a long drive for someone.i'm delivering for a guy coming 60k away,he is happy i i'm happy to clear my fish room, yes we are selFISH. did not take personally but cannot change the way we being doing deliveries to mtg.

chriscoli

Administrator
Jon's not out of line on this post. I know this has been a topic that's become overly-hostile in the past, Jon's trying to keep it neutral, and I appreciate it.

I think we're just trying to make other folks on the forum aware that circumventing the marketplace puts the club in an awkward position. It's a slippery slope once one person does it....others soon follow. Some of you may not be circumventing it at all....we just want to let people know that they need to think about it before making a final decision. The marketplace doesn't fit everyone's needs. I know that.

chriscoli

Administrator
we are use to take stuff to meetings for people , bfd will not make any difference ,we did what we always do deliver to mtg. as a favor to fellow fish people.avoiding a long drive for someone.i'm delivering for a guy coming 60k away,he is happy i i'm happy to clear my fish room, yes we are selFISH. did not take personally but cannot change the way we being doing deliveries to mtg.

Jose, I think that's the tricky part. This isn't a regular meeting, but I also know that people may see it that way.

Jmty

Members
nice chatting to you chris.sometimes the way is worded challenges people and harsh responses comes into the forum.