1. Welcome Back! Please clear your cookies and cache. If you encounter issues please report it on this thread here --> https://www.capitalcichlids.org/forums/posts/245545/ Thanks
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Next meeting of the CCA - September 10th 2pm John Krepper / Enjoying Lake Tanganyika Cichlids and their aquarium requirements.
    Dismiss Notice

Price for a 55 gallon tank

Discussion in 'Just Kickin' It Lounge' started by skanda, Apr 10, 2012.

Tags:
  1. skanda

skanda Members

Aqua-boy
    Last Activity:
    Aug 18, 2016
    Can someone tell me how much a 55 gallon tank with covers, light and wooden stand run for? I am looking to buy one on craigs list.

Thanks

2. dogofwar

dogofwar Global Moderators
    Staff Member

Last Activity:
    Yesterday at 8:56 PM
    Exactly what you described went for $80 at the PVAS auction. Or (on sale!) for $600 at Congressional Aquarium in Rockville. So somewhere in between is likely what you'll find on Craigslist.

Matt

3. Avatar

Samuel LaBudde
    Last Activity:
    Jun 30, 2016
    Depends

55 tank is a $1/gallon on sale new, unblemished and warrantied against leaks. Used wooden stand anywhere from free to $20 unless it's something special. Light/lids all depends on what kind - single dual T-8s with matching plastic lids around $30 used, glass tops and a compact fluorescent or T5 fixture, figure twice that+.

Personally I wouldn't give more than $100 for the whole shebang since they go for that or less all the time but age, quality and condition bear consideration. I'd recommend going for a 75 or even a 90 - all you're adding is 6" in depth to the footprint but what a difference that is...saw a 90 for $40 (just the tank) on Craig's this morning.

The thing about Craig's is that of you're patient and vigilant and quick you can/will get a great deal. I always include a phone number to show that you're serious and so you can maybe ask questions before making the trip.

4. creepyoldguy

creepyoldguy Members

Zack Spidel
    Last Activity:
    Jun 22, 2016
    Why dont you just buy my 120g setup for $200. hehe

5. Reed

Reed Very Fishe

Reed
    Last Activity:
    Yesterday at 1:25 PM