• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Pop Quiz (How did I eff up?)

dario5678

CCA Members
  • So I got me a new canister filter
  • put on the hoses
  • hooked up the plumbing
  • plugged it in to see if it worked
  • Couldnt get it to prime correctly
  • I decided maybe should open it and add more water
  • I unplugged it
  • began to take of the top to open it
  • I barely open it and....
  • GUSHHHHH (water all over the place
  • water continuing to come out
  • Me: Oh snap ...let me push it back down
  • nope Gushhhhhhhhh more water everywhere
  • its not stopping
  • Me: put the filter upside down fast (didnt matter)
  • water still gushing
  • jump to the top of the tank to start ripping hoses out (why did i put these on so effectively)
  • Me: Hey dumbass you actually could've just took the suctioned cup plumbing out.
  • What a mess
Can anyone guess what I forgot to do?

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Oh. And I've done the same thing. I've also done it with airline tubing from a sponge filter that I took off to move to another tank. I didn't realize there was a siphon until I dumped 10 gallons of water on the floor...

dario5678

CCA Members
LOL It was so disheartening. I was ready to quit. I was like "I am just getting started and already making a mess"

Becca

Members
We've all been there and done that. At least you haven't been through a 1.25" hose popping off of an FX6 that's hard plumbed into a tank... I still have flashbacks from that.

abcdefghi

Members
Did a similar thing with a filter of mine a while back, was getting ready to remove it for cleaning, popped off the hoses and as water started gushing out realized I had forgotten to close the valve. Thankfully not too much water had poured out before I closed it, but enough to make sure I always close the valves when cleaning them.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Sometimes if you don't do things wrong, you won't figure out how to do them right.

As others said, we've all been there, one of the reasons why most of my tanks are above concrete floors.