• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Pool Filter Sand

So after waiting for 2 weeks for Ace to ship in HTH pool filter sand when I showed up they gave me something completely different. Anyone have experience with the sand below. I originally bought play sand from home depot but can't dedicate 8 hours to washing it so read the reviews on HTH and bought that.

20180625_130553.jpg

Last edited:

b considine

a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude
Is there something about HTH pool filter sand that makes it preferable to what you received? Different color?

Blaise

I just read that HTH didn't require hours and hours of rinsing like play sand I originally bought. I've looked around a bit online but don't see anything about how "dirty" this brand is and don't want to crack the bag if it's going to be as bad as play sand.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I've never washed PFS, regardless of manufacturer.

I will never use play sand again. I spent hours washing just enough for a 5 gallon tank. What a waste of effort!

Thanks for all the input. They said it would take another 2 weeks to get the HTH in but no guarantee it'll be right brand so project of switching tank from gravel to sand will commence tomorrow.

Sand worked out great. Very very little dust and settled immediately. Tank is a little cloudy from the gravel removal but overall everything looks good all far.

20180626_194820.jpg

I did alot of gravel vacuuming before I removed the gravel and did a big water change after it was removed. Hoping that will keep things in check. I have a pretty small load on 3 aquaclear 110s but I'll keep an eye on it.

madcobra216

Members
Overall I think Sand substrate are the best, especially for cichlids. They love to dig & forage through it. Keeps the fish happy & it looks fantastic. I have PFS in all my tanks.

This is the first time I've run sand in freshwater and mainly switched because I want have a healthy chunk of plants. I could immediately tell the cory cats were enjoying it before I even finished getting it all in

b considine

a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude
The sand looks very white in the photo. My PFS is more beige. Is it really that bright? That would look great in an Amano-style aquascape.

Blaise

I'm not a great photographer but hopefully the plants or wood give reference for color. The lights are just normal single bulb fluorescents.

20180627_224219.jpg

20180627_224211.jpg

20180627_224201.jpg

FishEggs

Looks like you have some java fern there? If it is you dont want to bury it in the sand like that. Keep the rhizome up out of the sand.
Also to grow plants more than algae make sure the light bulb is a daylight spectrum around 5000k-7000k.